infrared heating

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
AGT

Re: infrared heating

Post by AGT »

Rubber mats to stand on can help.

Destrat fans up high pushing warm air down can help.

You get 600x600mm drop in ceiling grid style IR heater, you can hang them on chains too so could be fitted before a ceiling and then dropped into a ceiling later.

Air curtain/over door heaters help.

All depends on budget
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

GarethC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:21 pm We've just moved into a bigger workshop and I'm having a right headache working out how to keep my production staff warm. We also use adhesives so the ambient temperature can't be too cold.

I got a quote for air to air, and that's still my best guess at the long term option, but the air con guy strongly suggested we improve insulation around the front and back ceiling height roller doors, and/or dropped the ceiling.

He's right of course, but I just don't have the budget to do all of that, and it would be pretty disruptive. In the short term I've reverted to the old style butane cabinet heaters! Will see how they go and probably tackle the roller doors, which we don't really need, first.

Considered IR but the kit seemed quite pricey and the ambient temperature element killed it for me I think.
Sounds like a good situation for IR panels to me! Cheap to install too.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Kommando wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:05 am gas powered IR heaters directed at their work stations, no heating for the rest of the building except the offices. On a frosty day where your breath condensed inside the building as you walked down the line as you passed each heater 15ft up in the ceiling you could fell the heat on your skin before then getting frozen as you walked to the next heater.
We had these in my primary school canteen, only on at break times, the rest of the building was heated by conventional radiators. They looked like the bottoms of black ships' hulls and if you gazed up on them you felt the heat on your face, I guess they had a constant pilot light as the dinner ladies just used the window catch pole to pull down on a chain to increase heat. This was in the days before natural gas so town gas.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

For roller doors you can get fast acting ones that open and close when the forklift breaks an IR beam, even better if you create a 2 door system so 1 is always shut like in a space ship airlock. But the drivers end up getting cocky and repairing a hit door that did not have time to fully open happens a lot.