infrared heating

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Sunrisemike

infrared heating

Post by Sunrisemike »

I have a few panels doing various heating jobs, but was interested in the thin foil infrared sheets as seen on Grand Designs last week. These sheets are pinned up between the joists behind the plasterboard. Sounds brilliant, but I can't find the product anywhere on a search. Anyone had experience using it, or know where to find information?

Mike

GRAND DESIGNS HOUSES

Retreating into nature
Danny wanted a home to create memories with his children

BY JASON PODESTA | 5 OCTOBER 2023
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
Orligno wood gasification boiler
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
ALAN/ALAN D

Re: infrared heating

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

https://www.byecold.eu/produkt/ultra-th ... a-60x60cm/

Came across this link. But I cant see the point of heating a ceiling above where the living is taking place.
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

Ah, managed to freeze the replay, this is the company. Be interested to see how well it works.

https://www.ihelios.co.uk/post/ihelios- ... and-design
Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

Actually, on further investigation, this looks to be a pretty smart system..

Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

This chap bought three and decided that there not worth installing.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:31 pm

This chap bought three and decided that there not worth installing.
I know someone who’s ripped out their GCH and fitted these in every room. He loves them. I’m not convinced.

There is no storage or HP benefit. So you’re running them on peak electric with no CoP. Basically the most expensive way to heat your home! They heat the people/stuff not the air, so great for heating a small part of a very large space or somewhere draughty. I’m not sure it’d be that pleasant in a home to have cold air and warm stuff.

If I was the fella in the video I’d have fitted an A2A. However I think the panels would’ve worked in the application, they were just undersized for the space so an additional heat source would be needed to heat the room from cold or in the coldest conditions.

The “don’t fit the plug behind the unit” thing would’ve been for access rather than heat. I’d have wired them into a flex outlet and put a fuse somewhere accessible (low down on a wall somewhere or in a cupboard).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Sunrisemike

Post by Sunrisemike »

I've installed two 1200 watt infrared panels in a shop that I recently refurbished, and they work brilliantly as long as you are standing underneath them. The ceiling is over 3 meters high. By installing a sheets over the entire ceiling, I imagine it would give a good uniform heat source. The big advantage is that you do not have them on unless you are in the room, as they give almost instantaneous heat. I run an 800 watt one in our off grid home for short periods if I don't have the wood stove on. We have 20 kwh of battery storage, so not on for long periods. The trick is not to try and heat the room with them, after all, it's only you that needs the heat, not the house. I don't think matey in your video really understands how they work, and his panels look under size.

Mike

Off grid.
3.9 kw solar panels
6 x solar collectors
40 kWh rolls batteries
2000 litre storage tank
Lister generator...
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Sunrisemike wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:10 am I've installed two 1200 watt infrared panels in a shop that I recently refurbished, and they work brilliantly as long as you are standing underneath them. The ceiling is over 3 meters high. By installing a sheets over the entire ceiling, I imagine it would give a good uniform heat source. The big advantage is that you do not have them on unless you are in the room, as they give almost instantaneous heat. I run an 800 watt one in our off grid home for short periods if I don't have the wood stove on. We have 20 kwh of battery storage, so not on for long periods. The trick is not to try and heat the room with them, after all, it's only you that needs the heat, not the house. I don't think matey in your video really understands how they work, and his panels look under size.

Mike

A shop is a really great example of where IR panels are a good solution! With customers coming and going frequently you don't want to be heating air that'll be wafted out the door. Heating the people/stuff is therefore better in this circumstance.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Kommando

Post by Kommando »

The factory I worked in has a foundry, the furnace end was either too hot in summer or just right in winter. But all of the post furnace operations were done well away from the heat and there were long lines with just a few operators, the most economic way of keeping the operators warm in the winter was gas powered IR heaters directed at their work stations, no heating for the rest of the building except the offices. On a frosty day where your breath condensed inside the building as you walked down the line as you passed each heater 15ft up in the ceiling you could fell the heat on your skin before then getting frozen as you walked to the next heater.
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

We've just moved into a bigger workshop and I'm having a right headache working out how to keep my production staff warm. We also use adhesives so the ambient temperature can't be too cold.

I got a quote for air to air, and that's still my best guess at the long term option, but the air con guy strongly suggested we improve insulation around the front and back ceiling height roller doors, and/or dropped the ceiling.

He's right of course, but I just don't have the budget to do all of that, and it would be pretty disruptive. In the short term I've reverted to the old style butane cabinet heaters! Will see how they go and probably tackle the roller doors, which we don't really need, first.

Considered IR but the kit seemed quite pricey and the ambient temperature element killed it for me I think.