Heating season?

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Heating season?

Post by Stinsy »

We've done well so far with almost no spaceheating at all so far. However single-digits forecast for the weekend so the A2A is programmed to come on at 0500 and go off at 0830 or when 19℃ is reached (whatever happens first). Hoping to keep the gas off for as long as possible.

How are you chaps getting on?
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
pudding

Re: Heating season?

Post by pudding »

A2A units still on cooling mode!

Think we'll be ok for a while 8-) (/smug mode off)

Edit - new thermostats installed a couple of weeks ago, def need calibration as it's not quite that hot inside actually.
Last edited by pudding on Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4kW array w/Fronius | 3.51kW & 3.28kW arrays w/Sunsynk 3.6kW hybrid | 6 x Pylon US3000C
8kW GSHP/MVHR/5kW A2A HP/ Ripple- KH & DW & P4 on the way :D
Mart

Post by Mart »

Similar, and surprising here. No GCH well into October is rare.

Have been using the A2A the last week when enough spare PV, and cool, not cold. Hopefully that's not a waste, trying to slow down the cooling of the house.

Was a weird spring though, heating well into May, but no GCH from April onwards, able to cope with the 2 A2A units.

Temps drop massively here from Saturday onwards (2C to 6C at night). Daytime temps around 12C, and some sun predicted, so the A2A's may manage, but not too confident.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Struggling. :lol:
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Since the start of September I think we have had the WBS on once for 3 hours and since then we have been sat at a very constant 21 degrees C in the lounge which is comfy for us, no CH or other forms of heating other than BTU's from bodies including the three dogs and the contribution from cooking.

The weather has been very grotty with lots of days in the cloud base and very wet windy weather in general, but the ambient outside temperature remains stubbornly high which I presumed is why the cottage is staying at such a comfortable temperature without heating.

Moxi
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

House still 21-22o, so no heating yet.

Will try and resist lighting the WBS this weekend, though if we forage some Chestnuts, might have to.

Just to roast the Chestnuts, not for heating :lol:
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I hear your problem! I bought a cast iron stove top roast potato gadget for this winter and its sat on the stove waiting to get seasoned ! Its AGONY just having to look at it doing nothing! :lol:

Moxi
AGT

Post by AGT »

I think there will be a big variation of temperatures that people like to heat their homes to
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Our WBS has been on for a month. About 70% of the days I think. Not had to run it in anger so to speak but it's been great quietly running in the background, cooking meals, boiling kettle and drying clothes. Ran it up at 6pm tonight, 18 degs in big lounge when i came in, that's about my trigger to burn!

16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Bugtownboy wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:54 pm House still 21-22o, so no heating yet.

Will try and resist lighting the WBS this weekend, though if we forage some Chestnuts, might have to.

Just to roast the Chestnuts, not for heating :lol:
20C here in NW Surrey and unusually for October no heating yet and we have survived since end of April that way. Also PV has supplied all DHW in that time. I have cleaned out the stove ready and that will probably be our only heating this winter. I am just debating whether to continue heating DHW from electricity or the gas boiler which proved inefficient last year as we only seem to need about 3kWh/day for DHW.

I have no idea where Bugtown is but we plainly have it much easier than Joeboy 420 miles north of me

As the stove was not on for my daughter's birthday I roasted the chestnuts I collected when walking the dogs in the air fryer, very tasty but I should have pricked them first ;)
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery