Heating season?

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
GarethC

Re: Heating season?

Post by GarethC »

AGT wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm I think there will be a big variation of temperatures that people like to heat their homes to
We heat ours to 16 degrees. Neighbours look aghast when we say that. It's cool, but we all wear thermals as standard and don't find it uncomfortable. You get used to it quickly. We have blankets on the sofas for when watching telly. Our heating bills are modest despite having a big old leaky flat.

Quite a laugh when visitors keep their coats on inside :D
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

openspaceman wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:07 pm I have no idea where Bugtown is but we plainly have it much easier than Joeboy 420 miles north of me.
Somerset - by road, about 560 miles to Joeboy country.

Chestnuts, without pierced shells, in the air fryer must have been quite entertaining :shock:
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Mr "AGT wrote: ↑Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm
I think there will be a big variation of temperatures that people like to heat their homes to "

Here in the sitting / watching Telly room we have two 3 seater setees. One 2 seater setee and 2 arm chairs. :oops:

Over the years many visitors have decided its better to lay on the floor with the under floor heating even through the room thermostat is off at 23 degrees.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:48 am
openspaceman wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:07 pm I have no idea where Bugtown is but we plainly have it much easier than Joeboy 420 miles north of me.

Chestnuts, without pierced shells, in the air fryer must have been quite entertaining :shock:
I felt the same when I used to work out of Norway. You feel that next big step North. We are quite fortunate this year. Felt the extra nip in the air yesterday morning at 08.00hrs in garden but no frost so that's a bonus.

We are still doing OK with the Clarke airblower running for a half hour in ensuite bathroom in the morning. That's our sole electric air heating last week or so. It is set up outside of bathroom and on a hive plug. Brilliant wee blower.

No gas at all since pre Spring and I am proud of that. :D :ugeek:

I like the chestnuts idea.

The bathroom heater blows across an open corridor and into the bathroom. Bypasses any wiring costs into the bathroom, has two settings 1&2kW and a good fan to shove the heat. Bought for a fiver and so far SWMBO is happy which is essentially the battle. I have been pleasantly surprised at how effective it is in getting the heat to where its needed.
Last edited by Joeboy on Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

GarethC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:59 pm
AGT wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:05 pm I think there will be a big variation of temperatures that people like to heat their homes to
We heat ours to 16 degrees. Neighbours look aghast when we say that. It's cool, but we all wear thermals as standard and don't find it uncomfortable. You get used to it quickly. We have blankets on the sofas for when watching telly. Our heating bills are modest despite having a big old leaky flat.

Quite a laugh when visitors keep their coats on inside :D
Brilliant! :D
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Saw the forward weather forecast last night :shock: 1 degree up near JB over night and snow showers at times - weatherman smiled as he said that!

Overnight down to 4 for us in North West Wales, sounds like winters coming ........... but the change in air flow also means a much dryer weather front generally (for where we live) so I am looking forward to more solar gain in the coming week and to actually being able to see beyond forty feet !

I foresee the WBS going on sometime next week, probably at the evening and then the next day we will coast on the heat stored in the inglenook - thats how it normally works here.

Moxi
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

There was four of us on holiday in Iceland.

I was walking about around midday by myself.
A gentleman stopped his car. Wound down the window and asked If I was alright. He said he thought I was very inappropriately dressed to be walking about. After he drove away I was thinking that' very strange for some one to comment like that'.

The next day all four of us were walking together in a the city. There was a family feeding Ducks at the lake we were all looking at. There was a gust of very cold wind. The four of us just looked at each other and ran towards any door that was open or could be opened.

The family just stood there feeding the Ducks without even moving.

The Gent in car the day before was not the Plonker.
I take full Credit for the Plonker qualification. :oops: :roll:
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:37 am There was four of us on holiday in Iceland.

I was walking about around midday by myself.
A gentleman stopped his car. Wound down the window and asked If I was alright. He said he thought I was very inappropriately dressed to be walking about. After he drove away I was thinking that' very strange for some one to comment like that'.

The next day all four of us were walking together in a the city. There was a family feeding Ducks at the lake we were all looking at. There was a gust of very cold wind. The four of us just looked at each other and ran towards any door that was open or could be opened.

The family just stood there feeding the Ducks without even moving.

The Gent in car the day before was not the Plonker.
I take full Credit for the Plonker qualification. :oops: :roll:
You only need to learn that lesson once! Tromso was as far North as I worked on land although worked at sea right up North, well into the Barent Sea. Days & days sailing North. Not too bad once away from landmass. Coldest was -32 in Kazakhstan on land. That was brisk! Spanner frozen to hand stuff.

Morning cuppa on the lounger (thermal boilersuit on) enjoying the sunlight we allowed to fall.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
openspaceman

Post by openspaceman »

Bugtownboy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:48 am

I was quoting a straight line distance.

The chestnuts that exploded did so completely, dusting the inside of the already hard to clean air fryer.

Chestnuts much smaller than normal years and bitter when raw but a good flavour roasted.
Morso S11
FIT
16 Sharp PV panels facing WSW 4kW
Solarmax 4200S inverter
Non FIT
3 Canadian solar DC coupled 1.75kW facing SSE
Storage
Growatt SPA3000TL BL inverter ac coupled
Growatt GBLI6532 6.5kWh lithium phosphate battery
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »