I'm looking at storage heaters - "but oh my", the cost even for S/H !!

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Tay

Re: I'm looking at storage heaters - "but oh my", the cost even for S/H !!

Post by Tay »

Depends if the expensive gym membership has been working out ^^
PV 1.1kWh
Victron Multiplus 8K II 48v/100A + Victron 150/35 charge controller + lynx 1000
CerboGX, 25kW Pylontech batteries
Octopus Agile - Cheaper Battery Charging
Another 2.3kWh on the horizon - ground mount+575's
AGT

Post by AGT »

18kW storage heater, thats going to melt the cutout!

🤣
Tay

Post by Tay »

Presumably its 18kWh capacity due to the charge time of around 6-7hrs. It will be interesting to see how long it could last with a low output.

I wouldnt be able to fully crank one up fully, as I only have a 5 hrs cheap window, but discussions are ongoing with Octopus, despite no firm yes/no as to whether they could read my current meters they have said that they could have them changed.. although this phrase didnt instil me with confidence.

"If not we would certainly be able to get you some new meters that we would more than likely be able to read."

I'd rather hope by changing the meters it would guarantee they could read them.
PV 1.1kWh
AGT

Post by AGT »

Is it an older version?
How many elements wide say 300mm per 850 watt old skool storage heater
Tay

Post by Tay »

Both have triple elements wide, 12 bricks each, input rated at 2.55kW so yup, 0.85kW for each element.

As they were such a good price (thanks eBay) if they dont fit the bill then I'll resell them on, they had a larger unit but its too big for my needs and I dont think my wifi plug will handle that power, it was a 3.4kW input, I think my wifi plugs are only around the 3kW mark.

As mine are the 18kWh devices the power draw is roughly 10-11 amps, fine for normal 13A socket/plug.

This for the XL18N range, I presume the CLX (convection fan mode + SH) is very similar with the addition of the fan/heater.

12kWh would have sufficed but the ones i've found recently have all been around the £100-£150 mark each (with very few in decent cosmetic condition) + scattered all over the country,
These 18's are an hour or so down the road and look in pretty good looking nick, and near as damn it £100 for both.
PV 1.1kWh
AGT

Post by AGT »

Good luck with them, if you only want to use 2 elements to keep the power consumption down, just fit 2 elements and for the 3rd just fit the bricks, makes no difference electrically to the unit.

Elements are normally just held in by porcelain connector blocks.
AGT

Post by AGT »

The convector was normally a 24hr feed to power the small heater/fan side of the convector heater.
Tay

Post by Tay »

Tks for that, I shall bear that in mind

As they're pretty small foot print (less than a metre wide), I'll try them with the 3 elements initially. Given the shorter charge times I'll be able to give them on my tariff it could well be I'll need all three, but if not then I'll try two.

I'll experiment with the non convection heater first as that the one likely to get used the most, if all goes well, I can locate one upstairs and turn down the GFCH, this is where the majority of cost will come from this winter. Hopefully I'll get Octopus sorted soon too and get a decent providers view of my energy. BG is just driving me mad. It depends on potential dates for a Hybrid inverter+batteries, if thats close then I might wait, if its going to be a few months then some flexible (read: longer cheap power tariffs) would be beneficial.

I'm happy to run the GFCH at 15-16 degs C during the day coming up to 18 in the evening then down to 10 at night. but the SH's might give us other options depending on how long they emit heat for.
PV 1.1kWh
Tay

Post by Tay »

Bloody ell, I need a gym membership...

Took 2 hrs to dismantle 2 units, removing elements, then bricks then sticking them in the car, reassembling and removal from walls then sticking them in the car..

Feel like I've had a good old work out, although my back might be complaining a bit tomorrow. On the plus side, the Allroad did a cracking job as usual.
PV 1.1kWh