Post by Swwils »

It's not complicated.
Joeboy

Re: ASHP - Investigations and calculations

Post by Joeboy »

Andy wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:57 pm
Joeboy wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:26 pm
richbee wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:19 pm
I don't know, but I guess not - the quote just says "Our Surveyor will perform a detailed assessment of your home that allows us to prepare your final system design"
It is a good idea - we've done some work on leaks, especially in the 80's lounge with suspended floor, an open fireplace & non-insulated cavities
I wouldn't think they would, more likely a tickbox scenario. I find the idea of the HP fascinating. I might have a crack at working out my own place in Scotland for kW req's. Is there a generic calculator to use?

I also bought another 3 rolls of the 1.5mm insulation strip we used at daughterlys in Edinburgh. The leak sealing makes such a difference as its 24/7 switch off. I'll be going back round our place next week.

Are you booked for a surveyor?
Google 'Macs heat pump calculation spreadsheet' and you should be able to find the latest spreadsheet. It's simple to use and I've done a friends house in a few hours. It worked out fine with his heat pump. Just create rooms/dimensions etc. There is a drop down for common house build types for walls/roofs. You can also create your own build ups. It also does the design temperature for area as well. If you run into difficulties give me a shout. There is another document to use with it if you wanted to do boreholes and then work out the size required. I found a site that gives very detailed geology for scotland though I can't remember where. This is a good starter for working out the heat flow. This will be worse case round here as there is a reasonable through flow of water through the cracks in the granite. A friend in Torphins was close to the limit on his borehole as there was too much water flowing out! He has amazing stats on his 80's bungalow with a simple on/off GSHP. They are at the bottom of the hills though so a good bit of pressure.
Thanks for that Andy, much appreciated 👍. I'll do it out of pure noseiness and Winter boredom. I did indeed Google MCS heatpump calc spreadsheet.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

I paid a tenner and used the heat engineer app, didn’t know about that one, it was fine to use, I had all the measurements written down before so just plugged the info in.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Swwils wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:22 pm It's not complicated.
I thought the bits around windows, soffits, facias, pipes, incoming electrical wires etc were tricky, especially if you don't have much roof overhang?
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
0.8kWp Hoymiles East facing on the man cave (further 0.8kWp to be added west facing)
Ripple DW 2kW
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Nah there are now more products on the market to sort it. It's not complicated and if you like you can DIY.

Once you are sealed up you need to think about ventilation - the two go hand in hand but it's transformative.
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

Just spotted this, might be a useful option for people to try for heat pump sizing.

https://heatpunk.co.uk/
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
richbee

Post by richbee »

Right! I've signed up for octopus to come & do the heat pump survey🐙😁
Potentially have to wait 8 weeks for that to happen
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
0.8kWp Hoymiles East facing on the man cave (further 0.8kWp to be added west facing)
Ripple DW 2kW
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Where’s the fingers crossed emoji ?

;)
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Take care as octopus size for 50C flow which might not be what you want.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Swwils wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:40 pm Take care as octopus size for 50C flow which might not be what you want.
Yeah they are delighted with their cosy 6 which I have been unable to find any stats for whatsoever. They say it is a high temperature heat pump but I'd be very surprised if it is one of the fancy compressed helium based ones which do have good COP at higher temperatures.