ASHP - Investigations and calculations

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
richbee

Re: ASHP - Investigations and calculations

Post by richbee »

Swwils wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:40 pm Take care as octopus size for 50C flow which might not be what you want.
Thanks - I'll look out for that
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
0.8kWp Hoymiles East facing on the man cave (further 0.8kWp to be added west facing)
Ripple DW 2kW
richbee

Post by richbee »

Andy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:02 pm
Swwils wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:40 pm Take care as octopus size for 50C flow which might not be what you want.
Yeah they are delighted with their cosy 6 which I have been unable to find any stats for whatsoever. They say it is a high temperature heat pump but I'd be very surprised if it is one of the fancy compressed helium based ones which do have good COP at higher temperatures.
They have quoted for a Daikin heat pump and cylinder (doesn't say which model), so it won't be their new Cosy 6 model - think we'd need 2 of those!!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
0.8kWp Hoymiles East facing on the man cave (further 0.8kWp to be added west facing)
Ripple DW 2kW
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Andy wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:02 pm
Yeah they are delighted with their cosy 6 which I have been unable to find any stats for whatsoever. They say it is a high temperature heat pump but I'd be very surprised if it is one of the fancy compressed helium based ones which do have good COP at higher temperatures.
Most likely propane then secondary exchanger for low temps. It's why the acquired EVE or whatever they were called, clever injected secondary exchanger, but that's not unique tech.
richbee

Post by richbee »

OK - Octopus have found me a cancellation for the Heat pump survey - so now booked in for the 7th December :D
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Guardian article about heat pumps: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ld-heating
Quite supportive, points out that national strategy needed for effective roll-out.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
richbee

Post by richbee »

richbee wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:55 am OK - Octopus have found me a cancellation for the Heat pump survey - so now booked in for the 7th December :D
Ah well - the man from Del Monte says No :(
Heat loss calcs from Octopus show that I would need ~14kW, and the biggest pump they currently fit is 11kW - so they will refund my deposit and put me on the waiting list for when they start supplying 16kW pumps.
Not that far off the 12.5kW I calculated if you figure in the extra insulation below

Nice guy, very helpful - but his computer system got terminally confused with a couple of rooms that previously had insulated plasterboard (25mm insulation) fitted internally to the solid stone walls - apparently there is no suitable U value for that combination!!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
nowty

Post by nowty »

richbee wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:48 pm
richbee wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:55 am OK - Octopus have found me a cancellation for the Heat pump survey - so now booked in for the 7th December :D
Heat loss calcs from Octopus show that I would need ~14kW, and the biggest pump they currently fit is 11kW - so they will refund my deposit and put me on the waiting list for when they start supplying 16kW pumps.
Not that far off the 12.5kW I calculated if you figure in the extra insulation below

Nice guy, very helpful - but his computer system got terminally confused with a couple of rooms that previously had insulated plasterboard (25mm insulation) fitted internally to the solid stone walls - apparently there is no suitable U value for that combination!!
But with a couple of storage heaters on the cheap slot for the extreme conditions it would be fine. :roll:
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
richbee

Post by richbee »

nowty wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:57 pm
richbee wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:48 pm

But with a couple of storage heaters on the cheap slot for the extreme conditions it would be fine. :roll:
Or a log burner or 2 - and the fact that we don't heat to 21 degrees...
But they work to a standard calculation method and they can't deviate from it, especially if you want the BUS grant
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
richbee

Post by richbee »

Time to resurrect this - I now have a new company coming out next Tuesday to do a survey - Greenhome Heating - who are a HeatGeek Elite level and master level for Vaillant heat pumps!
Initial discussions are promising, that they are asking about pipework sizes and if it is possible to use larger pipes for the beginning of the runs to increase flow rate due to the required heat pump size.
I'm finding out about more about my system - like the fact that the pipes from the boiler under the kitchen floor and leading upstairs are 22mm (which is hopefully good), but the kitchen radiator is fed from pipes running back down the wall from the upstairs bathroom!
:xx: :xx: :xx:
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
Ripple DW 2kW
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Richbee

Let me know how you get on please.
Last edited by Moxi on Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.