Operation "Use Less Gas"

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
nowty

Re: Operation "Use Less Gas"

Post by nowty »

nowty wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:06 pm I fecked up after last nights saving session and forgot to turn the solar diverter back on. I use it to boost my storage heaters on the cheapslot, so no heat in the storage heaters this morning. That has led to a greater heating demand on the battery bank and todays promised sun has not turned up. :facepalm:

I need to keep my powder dry for tonight's saving (export) session so I've turned on the GCH for this afternoon. :surrender:

I have a self imposed gas budget of 1kWh per day, so 365 kWh a year and I have headroom of about 70 kWh left for this month. :xx:
My gas splurge on Friday worked out less than 30 kWh so I should end the year under my gas budget of 365 kWh. :mrgreen:

15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:31 pm
nowty wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:06 pm I fecked up after last nights saving session and forgot to turn the solar diverter back on. I use it to boost my storage heaters on the cheapslot, so no heat in the storage heaters this morning. That has led to a greater heating demand on the battery bank and todays promised sun has not turned up. :facepalm:

I need to keep my powder dry for tonight's saving (export) session so I've turned on the GCH for this afternoon. :surrender:

I have a self imposed gas budget of 1kWh per day, so 365 kWh a year and I have headroom of about 70 kWh left for this month. :xx:
My gas splurge on Friday worked out less than 30 kWh so I should end the year under my gas budget of 365 kWh. :mrgreen:

Very respectable. I get this, have done for months :)
Like the BBC test card but in a good way. 👍

:twisted:
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

My gas smartmeter stopped working a couple of years ago. Octopus has zero interest in fixing it…
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:10 am My gas smartmeter stopped working a couple of years ago. Octopus has zero interest in fixing it…
Our one worked last time gas flowed through it. If distant memory serves! :surrender:

Sitting outside a brutalist design Stalinesque Glasgow crematorium on the edge of the city 🤔 thinking dark, dark RE thoughts. This place looks like Dachau and I should know, I've been there.

Passed by some excellent huge Wind turbines on the run over from Edinburgh. Lots of park & rides and many, many charge points showing up on nav, which is great to see. :D
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:34 am
Stinsy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:10 am My gas smartmeter stopped working a couple of years ago. Octopus has zero interest in fixing it…
Our one worked last time gas flowed through it. If distant memory serves! :surrender:

Sitting outside a brutalist design Stalinesque Glasgow crematorium on the edge of the city 🤔 thinking dark, dark RE thoughts. This place looks like Dachau and I should know, I've been there.

Passed by some excellent huge Wind turbines on the run over from Edinburgh. Lots of park & rides and many, many charge points showing up on nav, which is great to see. :D
We're still on gas combi for DHW.

Will see if I can swap for DHW tank and teeny A2W HP this year ready for next winter. The early-December sustained cold snap confirmed to me that we don't need the gas boiler. Resistive heating was only possible with Octopus' inexplicably generous additional cheapslots. Certainly the A2A upstairs supported by resistive (2kW in the kitchen, 1kW in the living room, and 500W in each bedroom) worked well. Therefore a small 5-6kW A2W HP would do away with the resistive. I'll need another solution (small A2W HP) if Octopus get stingy with the cheap-slots. Might replace the 2kW resistive in the kitchen with a SH.

Glad you're enjoying getting out and about!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:02 am
Joeboy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:34 am

Glad you're enjoying getting out and about!
:hysteria:
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs