Operation "Use Less Gas"

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Moxi

Re: Operation "Use Less Gas"

Post by Moxi »

That's a nice post Stinsy I do like to see peoples systems returning benefit as it reminds us that its all worth it. The weather has definitely improved with regards to insolation around by us the last few days, even with my lash up of temporary south panels and the West facing array I am managing to get some charge in to the batteries and run the house.

I almost pushed the button and got a smart meter to join the mainstream on here but my meter cupboard space wasn't standard with enough space, so I cried off and since then I have convinced myself its not the right time.

On the plus side the new dehumidifier arrived yesterday and is cranking away upstairs with a starting point RH of 72% :o I wasn't expecting it to be that high but hopefully it will start to drop over the next few days.

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I can't remember struggling to use what I'm generating in December before?

12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

It might be -3℃ outside but currently all my heating requirement is taken care of by solar gain!

(would probably be even better if I cleaned the window!

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

We seem to have had the same weather as you over the last few days at least and its really making a difference, I could happily go through a cold winter if the days were sunny and clod free as they are at present.

Leave the dirt on until May next year theres no sense going out in the cold :lol:

I hope the rest of December keeps this sort of sunny weather pattern it would be fantastic, sprinkle in night time winds and maybe it would even be perfection ?

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:26 am That's a nice post Stinsy I do like to see peoples systems returning benefit as it reminds us that its all worth it. The weather has definitely improved with regards to insolation around by us the last few days, even with my lash up of temporary south panels and the West facing array I am managing to get some charge in to the batteries and run the house.

I almost pushed the button and got a smart meter to join the mainstream on here but my meter cupboard space wasn't standard with enough space, so I cried off and since then I have convinced myself its not the right time.

On the plus side the new dehumidifier arrived yesterday and is cranking away upstairs with a starting point RH of 72% :o I wasn't expecting it to be that high but hopefully it will start to drop over the next few days.

Moxi
When we fired up the dehumids a few weeks ago it was a crazy percentage too, not in keeping with expectations. I think it was transit moisture from the delivery van? The unit with the built in lcd humidity gauge quickly dropped though once operational.

Very few effective drying days here now so there is normally at least one fully loaded clothes horse on the go indoors, sometimes two as SWMBO likes to do No1's washing (spoilt rotten that one).. :D The combination of WBS & dehumidifer has completely negated the use of tumble dryer. We can still see 2 ltrs of water between the two dehumidifiers each morning for emptying. House is warm, dry and SWMBO happy 😊 , my life is good at the moment. :whistle:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I’m getting about a tub full per day, yesterday I brought it downstairs and ran it through the night but it started at 55% in dining room and so next morning I put it back on the landing.

After a nights sleep it usually starts around 72% at 7:30 and by bedtime at 9pm it’s back around 66 % but each night I’m noticing that it’s finishing slightly lower than the day before so it’s definitely drawing out moisture from the fabric of the house as well as respiratory moisture and cooking etc.

Heat pump tumble dryer still used for out washing as there’s so much of it with three small ones.

Got to agree with you JB, life is pretty sweet just now.

Even got the rats back in the chicken run as we do every winter but the air rifles and the FEN are out and starting to whittle their numbers down and I like putting wits against them, they are smart creatures and worthy opponents

Moxi
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I should have said I got the same make as you JB, in the 125 size.

Moxi
MrPablo

Post by MrPablo »

It definitely takes a while to draw the moisture out of the house fabric, but the difference to comfort and daily CH energy is pretty marked.

The amount of water to empty each day has dropped a lot, but it is a 4.8l tub.
We leave ours on 24h a day, set to 55% on the landing with doors open.

Compared to the Meaco DD8L, it's a game changer. Laundry mode is good enough that we've parked the idea of getting a tumble drier now.
10x 405W JA Solar panels (4.05kWp) @ 5 degrees
3x 405W Longi panels (1.22kWp) @ 90 degrees
16.5kWh DIY LifePo4 battery
Solis inverter/charger
0.6kW Ripple WT
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

+1 for: it’ll take a few weeks for the fabric of the building to give up its moisture. Startling how much water this equates to when you’re pouring hoppers of water down the sink every day. My recommendation is to take your dehumidifier on a tour of the house, different room every day…

Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

-8 here outdoors this morning. :winter:

House is down to 17 degs upstairs and 18 degs downstairs. :facepalm:

In all honesty, that is good. SH system in now running at around 80% of capacity. Minus 8 certified. :)
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees