Massive battery + electric boiler

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
GarethC

Re: Massive battery + electric boiler

Post by GarethC »

Joeboy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:49 pm
GarethC wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:10 pm Just had first indicative quote for ASHP for my home.

A cool £23k. Even with £7.5k grant and £7.5k interest free loan from the government, that's just not going to happen for a system which will probably bump up our energy bills a bit.

Back to the drawing board.
That is an.obscene amount, put me right off my porridge. Who can afford that?
I just want to get this right, £23k to heat Murrayfield, yeah? :hysteria:

Can we see the quote breakdown? We are now down to 60kWh (£4.50) per day on overnight tarrif to get the job done incl a car charge. At that quote price no cop multiplier would convince me regardless of best intentions. :(

This of any use?
https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item ... ref=search

Gareth, where are the company quoting based?
While that's just Home Energy Scotland's own estimate, based on the spec I gave them for my home, they reckon they're estimates are pretty good as they record actual installation costs and a lot get done in Edinburgh. I wouldn't be surprised if it's correct, although of course will get proper quotes. We're essentially a flat (Victorian villa converted into three flats). Ground floor at the front, but a consderation area so exterior unit would have to go at the back. As ground slopes away from front, we're first floor at the back, so siting and routing pipework for exterior unit a PITA. Then we've got very old micro-bore pipes throughout. Have undertaken some research and while we -might- get away with retaining, assumption would have to be replacement. No tank, so need one of them, etc. etc.

Storage heaters it is :D
GarethC

Post by GarethC »

Can we see the quote breakdown? We are now down to 60kWh (£4.50) per day on overnight tarrif to get the job done incl a car charge. At that quote price no cop multiplier would convince me regardless of best intentions. :(

This of any use?

While that's just Home Energy Scotland's own estimate, based on the spec I gave them for my home, they reckon their estimates are pretty good as they record actual installation costs and a lot get done in Edinburgh. We've just been quoted £6k for a replacement SHOWER, not even including tiling and redcorating, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's correct, although of course will get proper quotes. We're essentially a flat (Victorian villa converted into three flats). Ground floor at the front, but a consderation area so exterior unit would have to go at the back. As ground slopes away from front, we're first floor at the back, so siting and routing pipework for exterior unit a PITA. Then we've got very old micro-bore pipes throughout. Have undertaken some research and while we -might- get away with retaining, assumption would have to be replacement. No tank, so need one of them, etc. etc.

Whoops meant to edit prior post not quote.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

GarethC wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:57 am

This of any use?

While that's just Home Energy Scotland's own estimate, based on the spec I gave them for my home, they reckon their estimates are pretty good as they record actual installation costs and a lot get done in Edinburgh. We've just been quoted £6k for a replacement SHOWER, not even including tiling and redcorating, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's correct, although of course will get proper quotes. We're essentially a flat (Victorian villa converted into three flats). Ground floor at the front, but a consderation area so exterior unit would have to go at the back. As ground slopes away from front, we're first floor at the back, so siting and routing pipework for exterior unit a PITA. Then we've got very old micro-bore pipes throughout. Have undertaken some research and while we -might- get away with retaining, assumption would have to be replacement. No tank, so need one of them, etc. etc.

I have just had some plumbing work done in Edinburgh. I'll pm you his number. He responds quickly on WhatsApp.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

GarethC wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:57 am While that's just Home Energy Scotland's own estimate, based on the spec I gave them for my home, they reckon their estimates are pretty good as they record actual installation costs and a lot get done in Edinburgh. We've just been quoted £6k for a replacement SHOWER, not even including tiling and redcorating, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's correct, although of course will get proper quotes. We're essentially a flat (Victorian villa converted into three flats). Ground floor at the front, but a consderation area so exterior unit would have to go at the back. As ground slopes away from front, we're first floor at the back, so siting and routing pipework for exterior unit a PITA. Then we've got very old micro-bore pipes throughout. Have undertaken some research and while we -might- get away with retaining, assumption would have to be replacement. No tank, so need one of them, etc. etc.

Gareth

I had a Home renewables selector report done (via the phone) and the estimated installation cost was £28801 :shock:
I had already got estimates so knew it would be much less.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm elsewhere tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Andrew us an excellent young fells and I'm sure he will beat that shower quote. Also might be able to pass you numbers for HP installers.

Personally and knowing the impact of living in the oil.bubble and Edinburghs insane prices I'd be seeking quotes from West coast and Borders firms of good reputation for the HP system.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Yuff

Post by Yuff »

GarethC wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:18 pm Starting new thread as felt bad hijacking "Home battery without solar" thread. Thanks Stinsy et al for prior input.

Decarbonising the heating and hot water systems for my victorian home is a PITA. An ASHP would be my best bet, but would be expensive, even post grant, disruptive, given I'd need new radiators and a hot water cylinder, and in all probability might struggle to heat my home well.

If I installed a 60kWh battery, charged using off-peak electricity, then swapped my combi boiler for a, say 26kW electric boiler, how would that be as a strategy? Realise would need power supply to be 3 phase, but would be cool if battery could instead supplement single phase when required, saving need for upgrade. Standard inverters wouldn't supply that kind of output either, would they?

Sorry this is probably all half baked....

Morning Gareth
I don’t know how I missed this thread and I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as others on this thread but we have a reasonable sized house, 4000 sq ft, on 3 levels. The house never got particularly warm with a gas boiler, long story but lots of additions to the property over 90 years.
4 years ago we ripped up the ground floor to put underfloor heating in.
Then a year ago due to the huge increases in energy price and wanting to be greener, plus we had 2 EVs, we installed 2 ASHPs, batteries and panels.
The old gas boiler could not heat the radiators and all the UF heating if everything was on with the old radiators. The ASHPs also struggle but are a bit better.
I have also swapped the old radiators for ASHP compatible ones that have a hybrid fan, they are smaller than our old conventional rads, and a few on here did not think swapping to smaller rads was a good idea. But I have found them to be excellent. They heat up rooms so quick.
I have to say our experience of swapping, albeit expensive outlay, has been very good. I also have a SWMBO who is not happy unless it’s 24°c.
Cost wise everything works well on intelligent go with the extra off peak schedules
Mitsubishi Ecodan
ASHP 8.5kW x 2
12 x 460w Solar panels
9.5kWh GivEnergy
Batteries x 2
EVs x 3 170 kWh Batteries
Ripple 5.8 kW PV