Air source heat pumps and hot water

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
freeflow

Air source heat pumps and hot water

Post by freeflow »

Hi
Can somebody tell me if a standard heat source pump installation uses a pressurized hot water tank? Or will the pressure for the hot water be the same as with my oil boiler and water storage tank (gravity-fed)?
Fintray

Re: Air source heat pumps and hot water

Post by Fintray »

freeflow wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:30 pm Hi
Can somebody tell me if a standard heat source pump installation uses a pressurized hot water tank? Or will the pressure for the hot water be the same as with my oil boiler and water storage tank (gravity-fed)?
It can be either, if you have sufficient water pressure it would make sense to have a mains pressure hot water cylinder fitted but if you don't have sufficient pressure the cylinder can be open vented with a cold water tank.

Welcome to the forum!
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm elsewhere tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
HML

Re: Air source heat pumps and hot water

Post by HML »

Yes, it can be either. My ASHP is currently using a vented cylinder for hot water, though I have an unvented cylinder to replace it once I've done a load of work on the room the new cylinder's going in.

However, if you have an MCS install to get the BUS grant the installers are highly likely to insist on fitting an unvented cylinder, notionally to comply with MCS rules.