Storage heater Saga!

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: Storage heater Saga!

Post by Stinsy »

No Earth marking on anything except earth. However colours were not as diagram! Layout was simple enough though could see very easily where everything went.

Boost was purple/red.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Andy

Post by Andy »

I think he means on the plastic block.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I see, the Earth cable runs behind and connects to the PCB, the controller on top, and the chassis.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Andy

Post by Andy »

I wasn't very specific :P The little picture on the top most connection on the plastic block.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:25 pm UPDATE: I've found a circuit diagram! The over-temp sensors are separate from the PCB and inline with the power cables so I don't lose them if I disconnect the heating elements form the PCB and connect them to the off-peak supply.

Could you explain the pictures please? I was looking at the same diagram a few weeks ago but wasn't sure how to determine how all the little black boxes (relays) related to each other. I still can't see how the temperature cutout is related to the various heating elements.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I see what you're on about now. The plastic moulding has an "earth" symbol next to the terminal they have used for "Peak Neutral".

Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Andy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:44 am
Stinsy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:25 pm UPDATE: I've found a circuit diagram! The over-temp sensors are separate from the PCB and inline with the power cables so I don't lose them if I disconnect the heating elements form the PCB and connect them to the off-peak supply.

Could you explain the pictures please? I was looking at the same diagram a few weeks ago but wasn't sure how to determine how all the little black boxes (relays) related to each other. I still can't see how the temperature cutout is related to the various heating elements.
What do you want help with? There are no relays on the diagram! They're solid state (i assume) under the heatsink on the PCB.

Andy

Post by Andy »

Ah, it was how you determined the protection for overheating would still work with the way you wired it.

You have connected the heater elements to the off-peak supply so controlled by a smart plug I guess. The overheat sensor goes to a pcb but you have disconnected from that. So I couldn't work out how the protection is still afforded.
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:49 am I see what you're on about now. The plastic moulding has an "earth" symbol next to the terminal they have used for "Peak Neutral".
Yes that was it. I don't know why they didn't use that as the earth and move all the others one down. :shock:
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Andy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:06 am Ah, it was how you determined the protection for overheating would still work with the way you wired it.

You have connected the heater elements to the off-peak supply so controlled by a smart plug I guess. The overheat sensor goes to a pcb but you have disconnected from that. So I couldn't work out how the protection is still afforded.
I get you!

I have disconnected the heater elements from the PCB and connected them directly to the off-peak supply (controlled by a smart-plug) so the heating elements come on when the smart plug comes on and there is nothing the PCB and its "intelligent" algorithm can do about it!

However as you can see from the diagram, the "Limit Stat" and "Boost Limit Stat" as well as the "Manual Cutout" are in series with their respective heating elements entirely separate from the PCB, so they still function. The Storage heater is designed for a 7hr charge and I'm only charging it for 4hrs so I don't expect them ever to be triggered, but it is nice to see they're still present and functioning even after my "hack" in case something unexpected happens.