My GSHP trips 32A MCB

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
nowty

Re: My GSHP trips 32A MCB

Post by nowty »

spread-tee wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:27 pm How come you have a 32A MCB and even a 63A MCB tripping, caused by condensation you think, but not the RCD??
That doesn't sound right to me?

Desp
I must admit that is something I don’t understand, the pipes, the water pumps, the compressor and the heat pump housing are all earthed and even a bit of water is unlikely to trip a 64A mcb. Either something else is wrong which will become evident within a few days or the failed water pump was occasionally internally short circuiting.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Hmmm, I take it you have tested the RCD? they are pretty reliable but you never know. We've had some bother with the Hagar ones recently-ish, the little flying earth lead was an issue once IIRC.

Desp
Blah blah blah
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:44 am I must admit that is something I don’t understand, the pipes, the water pumps, the compressor and the heat pump housing are all earthed and even a bit of water is unlikely to trip a 64A mcb. Either something else is wrong which will become evident within a few days or the failed water pump was occasionally internally short circuiting.
Are they just earthed, or cross-bonded too?
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I don’t think it is the condensation shorting live to earth. That would trip the RCD as small current leaks to Earth but I wouldn’t expect that to pull enough current to trip an MCB (particularly 32A/64A). Seeing as you have redundant pumps could you deactivate them, one at a time, to test if one is causing the nuisance trip?
Last edited by Stinsy on Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

The earth from the consumer unit is terminated in the heat pump, then various earths go to the water pumps, compressor casing and metal housing.

I have tested the RCD in terms of pressing the test button but today I am going to give it the nuclear test by shorting a live cable with a 1A fuse and a 100 ohm resistor in series to various parts of the heat pump installation.

I am just waiting on the heat pump finishing its current heating cycle before I conduct the tests. :twisted:
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:43 am The earth from the consumer unit is terminated in the heat pump, then various earths go to the water pumps, compressor casing and metal housing.

I have tested the RCD in terms of pressing the test button but today I am going to give it the nuclear test by shorting a live cable with a 1A fuse and a 100 ohm resistor in series to various parts of the heat pump installation.

I am just waiting on the heat pump finishing its current heating cycle before I conduct the tests. :twisted:
Once you've got it sorted, have a crack at the 111 grease bag. No moisture will get in.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:33 am
nowty wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:43 am The earth from the consumer unit is terminated in the heat pump, then various earths go to the water pumps, compressor casing and metal housing.

Once you've got it sorted, have a crack at the 111 grease bag. No moisture will get in.
I cannot do the grease bag thing as the electronics are open to atmosphere via a grill surrounding the body of the pump. I would prefer to mount the pump upside down so any condensation does not drip down the housing through the air grill, but the instructions forbid mounting it that way.

Anyway conducted my improvised RCD test using a live wire to touch just about every point on the heat pump installation and the RCD trips every time so the RCD is functional. Its been 36 hrs now since I changed the failed water pump and no MCB trips so far. Probability is growing that I've fixed it.

5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:22 pm

I cannot do the grease bag thing as the electronics are open to atmosphere via a grill surrounding the body of the pump. I would prefer to mount the pump upside down so any condensation does not drip down the housing through the air grill, but the instructions forbid mounting it that way.

Anyway conducted my improvised RCD test using a live wire to touch just about every point on the heat pump installation and the RCD trips every time so the RCD is functional. Its been 36 hrs now since I changed the failed water pump and no MCB trips so far. Probability is growing that I've fixed it.
Would it be possible to remove the electronic control section of the pump from the body and just run some cabling to a suitably dry position?
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

BTW I'd recommend a 10kΩ resister rather than a 100Ω. It is a better test of the RCD pulling 230mA rather than 2.3A!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:38 pm BTW I'd recommend a 10kΩ resister rather than a 100Ω. It is a better test of the RCD pulling 230mA rather than 2.3A!
I think you mean a 1kΩ resister, but anyway the 100Ω resister was the only one I could find but I did have a 1A fuse in the plug it was running from, just in case. ;)

I did say it was a nuclear test of it ! :twisted:
Last edited by nowty on Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3