Storage Heaters

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: Storage Heaters

Post by Stinsy »

I bought a couple of cheapo little 500W oil-filled rads for the kids bedrooms and a big 2kW one for the hallway to provide heating in the cheap slot (2030-0030 for me).
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:38 am I bought a couple of cheapo little 500W oil-filled rads for the kids bedrooms and a big 2kW one for the hallway to provide heating in the cheap slot (2030-0030 for me).
We use the oil-filled heaters in the cabin, excellent bits of kit to have around.
2hrs 5mins of GCH yesterday across both zones has become a total of 35 minutes today and its -2 outside. 10 mins of that is in the upper zone instead of 30 mins in the morning. :D
Worth setting the flap open more on the lower zone unit to lift the temps in the morning and give the gas less work to do.
Last edited by Joeboy on Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

GarethC wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:56 pm I've a feeling that storage heaters could make a strong comeback. I know I've said it before, but they seem like a relatively easy way to leverage the fact that the UK's overnight electricity is, thanks to our growing wind generation, pretty green and cheap these days. And it's only going to get greener (and maybe cheaper).

I think the new ones with modern controls and better insulation will probably drive that. The only surprising thing is that, last time I checked, for what's really quite simple technology, they're currently surprisingly expensive.
I wonder the same;

As a microcosm, our little cottage has 2.5kw of wind turbine electricity attached, it's not on a metered feed in so anything we can use is a bonus, when it's windy, storage heaters and immersion on diverters do all the heating needs. Cost would have been comparable or maybe less than a heat pump and appropriate emmiters. Similar lifespan, slightly higher maintenance.

The only trouble is, if we relied on it, we'd either need unfeasibly large thermal stores or resign ourselves to having to pay quite a bit for bought in electric in the low wind period. If everyone else were doing the same but at a grid level, could mean that demand on the low wind winter periods was bonkers. Which is where heat pumps come in again I guess.

As it happens, we buffer with wood and a hopefully diminishing amount of oil. But I do like the simplicity and reliability of direct electric heating.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Gareth J wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:51 am
GarethC wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:56 pm I've a feeling that storage heaters could make a strong comeback. I know I've said it before, but they seem like a relatively easy way to leverage the fact that the UK's overnight electricity is, thanks to our growing wind generation, pretty green and cheap these days. And it's only going to get greener (and maybe cheaper).

I think the new ones with modern controls and better insulation will probably drive that. The only surprising thing is that, last time I checked, for what's really quite simple technology, they're currently surprisingly expensive.
I wonder the same;

As a microcosm, our little cottage has 2.5kw of wind turbine electricity attached, it's not on a metered feed in so anything we can use is a bonus, when it's windy, storage heaters and immersion on diverters do all the heating needs. Cost would have been comparable or maybe less than a heat pump and appropriate emmiters. Similar lifespan, slightly higher maintenance.

The only trouble is, if we relied on it, we'd either need unfeasibly large thermal stores or resign ourselves to having to pay quite a bit for bought in electric in the low wind period. If everyone else were doing the same but at a grid level, could mean that demand on the low wind winter periods was bonkers. Which is where heat pumps come in again I guess.

As it happens, we buffer with wood and a hopefully diminishing amount of oil. But I do like the simplicity and reliability of direct electric heating.
That's a smashing thought. Your own wind turbine heating your house. Yet another example of the simple utility of these storage units. I now have 445kg's of these storage bricks working across the house either through the grid on Go Faster window or through the woodstove jacket. The space in the house is too large for the 'store' to cover it all but my goodness it is doing us well. Being in the land of-2 degs and running the house this way is beyond what I hoped for.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Gareth J

Post by Gareth J »

Yes, it's a big help. The times of most free heat correlate with the times of highest draughtyness which is helpful. Unfortunately not necessarily with the times of greatest chilliness. Every home should have one!
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Joeboy,

Was it the location and available wind that prevented your WT efforts from reaching fruition or other problems ?

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Moxi wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:34 am Joeboy,

Was it the location and available wind that prevented your WT efforts from reaching fruition or other problems ?

Moxi
A combination of disturbed airflow and mounting the turnip on the side of my house further increased the turbulence. The unit does work and generates power but not enough clean strong wind to make it fully blur when running. My pig headidness even after multiple people on the old place advised me not to didn't do me any favours! Turns out that clean consistent airflow is indeed key.

I will likely take it down in Spring as its not doing much at this location although it does look excellent when it is spinning!

42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Moxi wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:34 am Joeboy,

Moxi
Vanishingly few residential properties are suited to wind turbines. You need consistent, lamina-flowing, wind. The turbulent air around buildings is no-good.

It would be amazing if everyone could attach a small TW to their house in the same way they do solar panels, even if it only produces a few hundred Watts, but it just doesn't work like that unfortunately.

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Ahh yes I remember the thread now, wasn’t there some discussion as to whether the magnets and coils in those VAWTs was up to the job as well ?

I was watching some HAWTs on Amazon before Xmas that had dropped to 65 quid! Wish I had chanced my arm now as they’re all back up to three figures and although I haven’t much space around the house there’s enough for a micro turbine and we are blessed with regular 20mph plus winds and often 40 to 50mph so the potential to leach some energy from the wind for background here seems good.

It would be lovely to compliment the solar - my other problem is the main garden where I could do more solar and WT stuff is across the lane and presently no way of being the power back to the cottage - it was discussed in the other place about getting the council to permit me to place a duct across the road - not got that far yet but it’s either that or mobile battery modules and a charge station over the way ?

What sort of power have you had from the VAWT when it has produced ?

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I *love* the idea of building 2x pylontech "wheelbarrows" and swapping them over every day!