Storage Heaters

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Stinsy

Re: Storage Heaters

Post by Stinsy »

AGT wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:51 pm I liked his posts on not owning a car, utilising taxis etc
I was talking to a guy the other day who doesn’t have a car. He clearly thought I was a weirdo because I couldn’t understand how you can live without a car. Anyone doing so much have a very different lifestyle to me!

Let’s take today for example: at 8am I Drove 45mins to take child 1 to his football game and drove back home a couple of hours later. Then went to the supermarket, to Wickes, and dropped something off at the mother-in-laws. Later I drove 30 mins to pick up child 2 from his friends house where he stayed over last night, stopped for 30 mins for a cuppa and a chat with the parents before driving home.

That is a quiet Sunday for me. I genuinely can’t understand how you’d get any of that done with Taxis.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
AGT

Post by AGT »

I’m in the same boat as you, Sunday football matches, part time drop of to Jobs, mid week training, etc finish work and start the part time taxi service!

Don’t mind at all though, happy to be involved.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

That was a pleasant surprise. Set up SH times to allow around 40% charge potential last night. Woke to 19 degs across the whole house which is pretty excellent considering the minus figure outdoors.

It has even knocked back the lighting of the WBS until afternoon. :D :ugeek:
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AGT

Post by AGT »

Nice.. 5.5 deg on the banks of the Tay at the moment, going out to the East Neuk for a walk around so WBS later in the afternoon.

Chilli taken out the freezer to defrost, and to let me get this space organised for a bit more sensible meal times, hence the interest on the other thread about fridge/freezers.
AGT

Post by AGT »

Gumtree comes up trumps again, another 1 brick wide storage heater XLS6 type.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:51 am Gumtree comes up trumps again, another 1 brick wide storage heater XLS6 type.
You are on! The beauty of these units is that once bought they will never wear out. We have six of the XLS6 units dotted about the house. It may take a couple of seasons to build up to the volumes you want but that's it.

We came home this afternoon and plugged in EV, given a cheap window of 14.30 to 07.00hrs. :twisted:

We are now heat soaking the house.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

In less than 12 months, now have 5 storage heaters?
Another 3 will see me finished…
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:54 pm In less than 12 months, now have 5 storage heaters?
Another 3 will see me finished…
One of the things I like about the SH & smart plug combo is that it's easy to see when the house is heat soaked and the charge window isn't fully utilised. 👌

Our SH count is now ten. I had been going to hunt down one more for cabin but then fitted a used wbs instead.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Today is an excellent example of the benefits of SH's and supplier communications.

The house is artificially cold due to our absence for 17 days. I had been going to run the WBS harder to heat soak the fabric.

Octopus tell me there is a lot of spare power going about via a long charge window.

I load up my SH system and run it pretty hard. The home gets a fast heat soak and the carbon count from our WBS is reduced. Plus, the benefits roll into tomorrow and beyond.

That is a cool use of secondhand resources and existing infrastructure. :twisted:

I expect to go well beyond 100kWh for the 24hr window but at 7.5p per kWh and logs not burnt its :ugeek:

In a further synchronicity, GF is picking up the bill.

Edit- I had a 100A fuse upgrade specifically to be able to do this. Don't try hitting these draw figures unless you are geared properly for it.

Last edited by Joeboy on Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

I like them, it’s easy to control via the smart plugs.

Wife’s ‘warming’ to then and all my other ideas so that’s good.

All thanks to this place and all the contributors🍺