Storage Heaters

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Joeboy

Re: Storage Heaters

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:33 pm I like them, it’s easy to control via the smart plugs.

Wife’s ‘warming’ to then and all my other ideas so that’s good.

All thanks to this place and all the contributors🍺
This has been an excellent window of opportunity to show SWMBO that gas isn't needed here at all. Brain is still on Turkish time so up at 5 this morning. Whole house is up around 19 degs which is great considering its 2 degs outside. :lol:

Yesterday's IO run is benefiting us today and into tomorrow. It will be a couple of days before entire home is up to heat spec, i'll keep a look out for an upward kick on temp gauge. We aren't doing the section isolation thang this year for heat as its not comfortable and TBH we've got enough remedial works and RE investment in place that we can allow the luxury of a constant temp through out. (Shortcut, SWMBO did the telling). :D

Some of the SH's are maxed out for charge, going on previous experience the larger ones will retain all through the day and need less charge tonight. At this time of year I run the big ones mostly closed and rely on design leakage to heat. Works well.

We also caught an auto ignition on the WBS this morning, gonna be a good day! :D

The WBS will run on maintenance mode today at a lower air setting, thus IO frenzy from yesterday will continue to cut back our daily log burn total.

£11.77 to heat soak home and charge heating system , HWT to 80 deg, 55% charge (deliberate) into EV, charge home battery stack, run washing machine 4 times, cook dinner, kettle on at least 8 times, TV and all that. Plus control log burn amount.

On the other side of that balance is GF which made us £10.02 before in day adjustment later today.

Green crap eh? £1.55 yesterday cost us. That's about the price of a single litre of unleaded isn't it? :twisted:
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

153kWh! Oof! 60kWh is a big day for me!

There are a few on here who live in houses with functioning GCH who’re trying to get through without using it, relying instead on “secondary heating”. Last year it was a no-brainer. Gas was 10p/kWh and off-peak electric was 7.5p/kWh, even without accounting for the inefficiency inherent to gas boilers in real-world operation, off-peak resistive electric was a clear winner. This year however, it isn’t as clear-cut. Gas is below 5p/kWh and off-peak electric is 7.5p/kWh.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:22 am 153kWh! Oof! 60kWh is a big day for me!

There are a few on here who live in houses with functioning GCH who’re trying to get through without using it, relying instead on “secondary heating”. Last year it was a no-brainer. Gas was 10p/kWh and off-peak electric was 7.5p/kWh, even without accounting for the inefficiency inherent to gas boilers in real-world operation, off-peak resistive electric was a clear winner. This year however, it isn’t as clear-cut. Gas is below 5p/kWh and off-peak electric is 7.5p/kWh.
Aye right enough, It is very much a personal thing. I am still kicking myself that I succumbed and used gas last Winter albeit at a rate that made it a no brainer.

I did get down to sub 10% of the bad old days gas annual use although in the battle of me against me I want to do better. :ugeek:
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
nowty

Post by nowty »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:23 am
A few extra cheap slots eh ! :D

I've now switched on one of my smaller storage heaters as it was getting a little chilly down one corner end of our house.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 18MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

nowty wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:38 am
Joeboy wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:23 am
A few extra cheap slots eh ! :D

I've now switched on one of my smaller storage heaters as it was getting a little chilly down one corner end of our house.
1! (I wish). :lol:
House is now sitting at 21.2deg. :twisted:
SWMBO is happy, life is good.
16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

I have a functioning gas central heating system, but prefer to use the storage, the heaters retain the heat all day compared to the wet radiators.

Also benefit of heating certain rooms
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

AGT wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:43 am I have a functioning gas central heating system, but prefer to use the storage, the heaters retain the heat all day compared to the wet radiators.

Also benefit of heating certain rooms
We have the same experience, a consistent heat throughout with the SH's After the extravaganza of 1st day arrival back normal service has resumed! Whole house is around 21 deg.

16.2kW PV SE, VI & DW
28kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
AGT

Post by AGT »

The last heater I ‘purchased’ didn’t materialise due to inability of DPD to collect( don’t worry was just buying the heater not the bricks)

Anyway sourced a non working 24 size heater, just needed the bimetallic strip reset so all good, 4 elements but only going to use 3..

Will need to swap a 12 size heater around and play about..
All good fun
AGT

Post by AGT »

Today’s collection
AGT

Post by AGT »

Taken a while to get round to it, fitted last night sucked up 5.125 kWh on the first charge