Heating the House.

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Petertc

Re: Heating the House.

Post by Petertc »

Years ago we did this exercise with a plug in energy monitor. Changing the lights and switching things off we went from 4800 kW/h year to about 2000kW/h a year.
The only thing not to switch off apart from the fridge and freezer is the internet router.
As every time you switch it off the internet provider records it as a fault. So slows the connection down.
Ken

Post by Ken »

I always switch my telly off at the socket since i found that it used 14w on standby. 14w x 24hrx 365 = 122kwh/yr !

It has always been known that every house has standby losses in the region of 200-300 w . For most users this is 1/2 their yearly bill !!!!!!!!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Check the article now, massively revised. Telly and games console standby revised down from £132 + £1,500 respectively, to about £15.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Ken wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:34 am I always switch my telly off at the socket since i found that it used 14w on standby. 14w x 24hrx 365 = 122kwh/yr !

It has always been known that every house has standby losses in the region of 200-300 w . For most users this is 1/2 their yearly bill !!!!!!!!
Not mine. When we have retired for the night, our leccy use is typically 30-40W, apart from when fridge and freezer compressors might be running. Largest energy use at the dead of night, I suspect, is down to clocks of one description or another, followed by the router (only been left on overnight recently due to an urgent need - when the router is off, there is no signal to slow down.🙂), then the sleeping PV inverter, solic 200s, etc.

I grew up in a draughty farmhouse with no central heating. The only warmth in our bedroom was from the kitchen below - and all of that soon passed by! So I am quite happy to turn off the heating overnight. The damn smart meter records 4W with apparently nothing connected (all MCBs tripped). That might be £10 pa!
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

Hello Mart.

I can see that it has been updated by an EXPERT. ????

Quote.

"Obviously, a fridge/freezer cannot simply be turned off when not in use, “ :mrgreen: :ugeek: :oops:

How much power gets wasted at the Tip / Landfill where they have to keep them turned on and plugged in.
ALAN/ALAN D

Post by ALAN/ALAN D »

The EXPRESS News paper is offering advice on how to Keep the house warm as well. :oops:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/pr ... save-money

Appliances to switch off before going on holiday - kettle and toaster could cost over £14 :roll:
A PROPERTY expert has shared which appliances homeowners should switch off before going on holiday. The expert said kettles and toasters could cost homeowners more than £14 over a seven-day period, even if they're not being used. :lol:
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 pm The EXPRESS News paper is offering advice on how to Keep the house warm as well. :oops:

Appliances to switch off before going on holiday - kettle and toaster could cost over £14 :roll:
A PROPERTY expert has shared which appliances homeowners should switch off before going on holiday. The expert said kettles and toasters could cost homeowners more than £14 over a seven-day period, even if they're not being used. :lol:
Where would we be if we didn't have experts... :roll:
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mart

Post by Mart »

Fintray wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:00 pm
ALAN/ALAN D wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:09 pm The EXPRESS News paper is offering advice on how to Keep the house warm as well. :oops:

Where would we be if we didn't have experts... :roll:
Still in the EU ....... :shock:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.