4NOKS Power Reducer - Fault?

Air source, ground source and associated systems for heating homes
Moxi

4NOKS Power Reducer - Fault?

Post by Moxi »

Morning All,

I had my electrician in on Monday to switch over my old consumer unit for a nice new regulation compliant one with earth leakage protection in a metal case.

He reconnected all the circuits exactly as they had been on the old unit but for some reason the power diverter no longer diverts.

Its got the green LED health status and I can press to get the 3kW booster function but the amber LED indicating excess solar production is being diverted doesn't light up and we are not getting power at the diverted load.

The load (radiator) is working fine as is everything else as far as I and the electrician can tell so we are both at a loss to solve the issue.

I have put the CT clamp on the indicated meter tails in both directions trying to see if we were on the wrong wire or wrong orientation but again nothing.

https://www.4-noks.com/download/fogli-i ... .07.05.pdf

Anyone got any experience of this type of diverter ? any ideas ? Throwing the isolator and restarting doesn't get the three alarm beeps either so the unit seems to "think" its ok ?

The reducer is wired in to the socket circuit, the solar panel inverter and generating meter are on their own breaker, all as before the consumer unit change?

Moxi
marshman

Re: 4NOKS Power Reducer - Fault?

Post by marshman »

Not familiar with this particular diverter but the symptoms you describe seem to indicate that the C.T. is not "working", i.e. the unit is not detecting export power flow.

You say you have tried clipping the CT on both tails, both ways around. Could it be that the wires from the CT have become disconnected in the unit itself? - carefully check the CT and the connecting cable and connections in the diverter. Also check the CT is closing fully and there is no debris to prevent the core of the CT making a complete closed circle, the tiniest gap will prevent it producing the correct signal.

The unit also needs a voltage reference from the grid it uses this to calculate the actual power level and also looks at the phase relationship between the voltage and current to determine the direction of power flow (import or export), hence why the CT must be the correct way around. Not sure if it makes any difference, and can't see a sparky making this mistake, but make sure the live and neutral are the correct way around on the unit - unlikely to be wrong but in a situation like this worth checking everything.

Finally you could check that the CT is working - though unless the connection wire is broken there is no reason it should have failed - a simple check would be to disconnect the leads in the diverter and use a multimeter to check there is a complete circuit around the transformer. They are all different.

Not much help but gives you a few simple areas to check.
Last edited by marshman on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Thanks Marshman I will give all your suggestions a try to see if I get lucky :)

Its go to be something simple as theres no smell (blue smoke style) of anything having given up during the recent change over.

Moxi
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

My guess is that the CT has become faulty in the process...
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Thanks to all who input to this problem, having snagged a bit of time late today and having some goodish light to show some load diversion I managed to fault detect my way to a resolution.

First item was that the unit had restarted in an alternate mode. Once I had discovered this the next fault of the CT clamp being on the wrong tails was identified and then upon alarm the fact that the CT clamp was reversed so all is now sorted and it will divert again - I missed it over the last few days as it’s value on modest solar days is significant in helping to manage peak loads

Moxi