Reducing our carbon footprint...

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mr Gus

Re: Reducing our carbon footprint...

Post by Mr Gus »

What amazes me is the annual story of the world's remotest (seasonal) post office.

Big cruise ships ferry people out circa 18,000 per season whilst sitting throbbing in the bay, burning energy, chucking out pollution.

They recruit people for an "adventure" living in a Nissen but heated with oil stocks, cook on camp stoves, "a few" solar panels so presumably a generator for shop / post office functions, till, lighting etc.

It is in a delicate environment,.
It flogs China made, stuffed toy penguins & other tat. (Postmarked card opportunity)
It is the southerly most post office in the world ..yawn. "Penguin post office"

The stock is hauled up by sledge & pushed from behind by staff, it is a clear run that would benefit a motor windy assistance, they have solar, they have room for more.

The job is to scrape paths in a small area free of penguin guano for the cruise ship tourists in luxury cruises.
The staff have no running water, so rides to & from ships every few days for showers, & invites to eat fresh foodstuffs rather than canned supplies.
There are, depending on which photos & recent film footage you Google between 3 & 8 solar panels on the nissen hut.

If you want to reduce pollution, start with cruise ships burning 1000's of gallons of bunker fuel to entertain idiots in this manner, & take the British Antarctic survey (Cambridge) to task over the massive carbon footprint.

The closure during covid has left a reported shortfall of 1million pounds in the survey historic buildings preservation budget..

Wonder what the cruise ships are burning in order to allow this activity to happen.
(Movement is restricted for both staff & visitors beyond the post office & the quay)

Is a cruise ship really travel? & in a climate meltdown should it be allowed anymore?
You can guess my answer.
Last edited by Mr Gus on Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

In oil exploration, one of the most polluting industries in the world, every drillship I have worked on has run on diesel, largely because it is cleaner than heavy marine oil..... And cruise ships run on heavy oil? You would have thought that it's an industry that would want to protect its reputation.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
Ken

Post by Ken »

That cruise ship article is about sulphur pollution not carbon.

I maintain that the energy used and wasted by the fossil fuel industry is enough to power all the EVs and therefore oil is not needed.

The methane flaring is huge and far worse than CO2
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Ken wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:28 am That cruise ship article is about sulphur pollution not carbon.

I maintain that the energy used and wasted by the fossil fuel industry is enough to power all the EVs and therefore oil is not needed.

The methane flaring is huge and far worse than CO2
And the fracked American gas we’re currently burning is the very worst for that!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)