Coal

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Stinsy

Coal

Post by Stinsy »

FF seems to be making a comeback:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58469238
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Re: Coal

Post by spread-tee »

From the article,

Both the government and National Grid ESO have committed to phasing out coal power completely by 2024 to cut carbon emissions. However, coal is currently still used when it is better value than gas.

So there you have it, profit is more important than saving the Planet or lives :evil:

epds
Blah blah blah
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

spread-tee wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:17 am From the article,

Both the government and National Grid ESO have committed to phasing out coal power completely by 2024 to cut carbon emissions. However, coal is currently still used when it is better value than gas.

So there you have it, profit is more important than saving the Planet or lives :evil:

epds
I wouldn't get too worried about it - electricity prices are extraordinarily high at the moment, and the reality is that we do have limited resources one of which is money. On a cost to avoided CO2 ratio metric, we're almost certainly better off in the long run by firing up West Burton for a few days and spend the money saved on some more offshore wind.

nowty

Post by nowty »

I suspect we wont be getting rid of coal until "Hinkley Point C" nuke is operational, circa 2026.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Paul_F wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:10 am
spread-tee wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:17 am From the article,

epds
I wouldn't get too worried about it - electricity prices are extraordinarily high at the moment, and the reality is that we do have limited resources one of which is money. On a cost to avoided CO2 ratio metric, we're almost certainly better off in the long run by firing up West Burton for a few days and spend the money saved on some more offshore wind.

In terms of total CO2 it isn't a biggy, but it doesn't send out a great message when we are trying to persuade others to decarbonise at COP out 26 , mind you I suspect our credibility is almost gone anyway. It is grist to the FF mill too banging on about how we can't do without........any savings are more likely to end up in shareholders pockets than on a wind farm I suspect.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mart

Post by Mart »

Yep, burning some FF's to fill in the gaps at the moment, has to be the best economic solution (for now). I'm like a big kid getting excited about all the storage ideas (intraday, medium, and longer term), but until we have lots of excess generation, and on a regular basis, the simplest solution remains spill/waste/curtailment.

The great news though, is that over the last decade, the growth in RE generation has displaced roughly half of the FF generation off the grid. So if we can do the same again for another 10yrs (around 3.5% pa), plus perhaps an extra 1% for the nuclear that will be ending, then that's leccy 'sorted'. And that level of rollout, which could go faster now, since costs have fallen massively since the late 2000's, would probably also outstrip the growing demand from FF transport and space heating moving over to electricity too.

And during this decade, ideally the first half, we should get a good grip on the viability and costs of all the upcoming forms of medium and longer term storage too, especially with some of the newcomers such as gravitricity, hot rock storage, compressed CO2, etc etc..

I know I'm very negative about addressing the problem of AGW, because it's now too late, but I'm actually very positive about us moving to a low carbon (ideally net zero) economy, quite quickly.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.