Fussion power station ?

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Oldgreybeard

Re: Fussion power station ?

Post by Oldgreybeard »

It will be years away, but always has been. One thing that attracted me to science was reading about ZETA at Harwell as a small boy, and that was attempting fusion in the late 1950's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZETA_(fusion_reactor)
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Greenwashing: i suspect govts will hapily spend £bn on this research in order to appear to be doing something about climate change, whilst not upsetting the fossil fuel interests anytime soon - or ever - by undercutting them by producing clean, cheap energy from wind and solar.

It's still decades away, and i can't imagine it ever being cheaper than wind and solar. The only logical use for it is in things like nuclear subs where renewable energy isn't viable
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Mart

Post by Mart »

Marcus wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:59 pm Greenwashing: i suspect govts will hapily spend £bn on this research in order to appear to be doing something about climate change, whilst not upsetting the fossil fuel interests anytime soon - or ever - by undercutting them by producing clean, cheap energy from wind and solar.

It's still decades away, and i can't imagine it ever being cheaper than wind and solar. The only logical use for it is in things like nuclear subs where renewable energy isn't viable
And therein lies the rub. And my main concern too, will it act accidentally, or deliberately as a way to slow down the transition away from FF's.

Just like Thorium, SMR's, CCS ('clean coal'), H2 for road transport or space heating, and all the other great hyped hopes, it could be used to delay moving to the already clean and cheaper solutions. But hopefully not ......... who am I kidding!
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Oldgreybeard

Post by Oldgreybeard »

[rant_mode]

What is truly sensible in terms of protecting our planet and treading as lightly upon its ecosystem as we can, so ensuring the continued survival of our progeny?

We have evolved to the stage we are at now through being clever apes that have adapted and invented technology.

Should we stop doing this and revert back to being primitive primates, fighting with each other for resources? Or, should we use our knowledge and skills, learned over millennia to try and ensure the continued existence of our species?

My personal view is that we must learn to not be profligate when using/wasting the resources of our planet. We must not rape our lands and forests to provide energy we do not need. We must not despoil the land, sea and the air we breathe in order to accelerate the destruction of "our" planet.

Most of all, WE MUST NOT BE SELFISH, neither should we be so bloody arrogant as to assume that we are the only species on this planet that has the right to exist and prosper.

[/rant_mode]

[sensible_mode]

What is this forum REALLY about?
  • Is it about treading lightly on the ecosystem of this planet?
  • Is it about who can profit the most by exploiting others better than anyone else, irrespective of the consequences for the future or the lives of others?
  • Is it about sharing our collective knowledge in good faith, and with acceptance and tolerance, and appreciating that we all have a slightly different view as to what might be best for our environment?
  • Or, is this place really just so unfocussed as to its objectives that none of the above are relevant?
[/sensible_mode]

I am serious about the above though, I think it really matters, so much so that I would very much like whoever owns/runs/controls this place to perhaps consider some sort of "mission statement" (I personally hate that term but cannot think of an alternative) and make that clear to all that visit here so we know exactly where we stand.

Here endeth the rant, and please accept my humble apologies if I have unintentionally offended anyone here, that was absolutely not my intent at all. I would like to encourage some serious thought about all of the above points though, if that is considered to be acceptable here.
Last edited by Oldgreybeard on Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
25 off 250W Perlight solar panels, installed 2014, with a 6kW PowerOne inverter, about 6,000kWh/year generated
6 off Pylontech US3000C batteries, with a Sofar ME3000SP inverter
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

What i don't understand is surely this is also going to heat the world up.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Tinbum wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:00 pm What i don't understand is surely this is also going to heat the world up.

All the energy we could ever liberate is a tiny fraction of the incoming solar radiation, it would almost certainly be immeasurable.

Desp
Blah blah blah
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

OGB,

I would have thought "renewable energy and sustainability discussions" is not bad ??

Desp
Blah blah blah
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Oldgreybeard wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:58 pm [rant_mode]

What is truly sensible in terms of protecting our planet and treading as lightly upon its ecosystem as we can, so ensuring the continued survival of our progeny?

We have evolved to the stage we are at now through being clever apes that have adapted and invented technology.

Should we stop doing this and revert back to being primitive primates, fighting with each other for resources? Or, should we use our knowledge and skills, learned over millennia to try and ensure the continued existence of our species?

My personal view is that we must learn to not be profligate when using/wasting the resources of our planet. We must not rape our lands and forests to provide energy we do not need. We must not despoil the land, sea and the air we breathe in order to accelerate the destruction of "our" planet.

Most of all, WE MUST NOT BE SELFISH, neither should we be so bloody arrogant as to assume that we are the only species on this planet that has the right to exist and prosper.

[/rant_mode]

[sensible_mode]

What is this forum REALLY about?
  • Is it about treading lightly on the ecosystem of this planet?
  • Is it about who can profit the most by exploiting others better than anyone else, irrespective of the consequences for the future or the lives of others?
  • Is it about sharing our collective knowledge in good faith, and with acceptance and tolerance, and appreciating that we all have a slightly different view as to what might be best for our environment?
  • Or, is this place really just so unfocussed as to its objectives that none of the above are relevant?
[/sensible_mode]

I am serious about the above though, I think it really matters, so much so that I would very much like whoever owns/runs/controls this place to perhaps consider some sort of "mission statement" (I personally hate that term but cannot think of an alternative) and make that clear to all that visit here so we know exactly where we stand.

Here endeth the rant, and please accept my humble apologies if I have unintentionally offended anyone here, that was absolutely not my intent at all. I would like to encourage some serious thought about all of the above points though, if that is considered to be acceptable here.
Urr... it's a bit off topic, but my 2p worth:-

I Don't think you can really define what a forum is about.

Most sucessful (active) forums attract a range of types with a broad range of motivations; if you try to pare it down to a particular ideal you will likely end up with a moribund forum. I do think this forum (& it's predecessor) have a significant number of 'economic' RE owners - i.e those who bought PV on the FIt system for financial reasons, but then became interested in maximising their utilisation of their free energy, so became 'accidental environmentalists'.

But due to the fact that there are different types with different motivations (and folks with more money than me who are willing to take a punt on an idea and see if it works), there's lots of really useful info here for folks like me who want to save the planet but don't want to start from scratch when deciding where best to spend my limited budget.

I started down this path for environmental (save the planet) reasons and bought my 1st pv panels back in the 90's - i still remember paying over £300 for a 32w panel! (It still works).

Hope that makes sense.
450W hydro-electric
5110W pv
1.3kw Wt2 - not yet producing
6kWh lead acid - maybe 1kwh useable
LiMnCo battery made from 2nd hand hybrid car modules 3.6kwh nominal 24v.
300lt hot water tank and two storage heaters
ASHP Grant Aerona 3 10.5kw and UFH
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

The forum can be anything you want it to be, including new sub boards if a more specific or hard-core edge is sought.

The 💡 of this board is to give an easily found space for people of all knowledge & experience levels to meet, chat and exchange ideas loosely based around RE. The hope is that the board and its members can make change in the real world through these exchanges and having no commercial goals of itself the board can be around for a long time as a reachable RE resource.

That's about as close as there will ever be to a mission statement... :D

Other than of course 'Insulate, insulate, insulate'. :ugeek:
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:40 pm Other than of course 'Insulate, insulate, insulate'. :ugeek:
... after draught-proofing!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!