No miracles needed.

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
spread-tee

No miracles needed.

Post by spread-tee »

Somebody just needs to tell the politicians

https://theguardian.com/environment/202 ... -t1e-world

I will be ordering this book.

Desp
Blah blah blah
AE-NMidlands

Re: No miracles needed.

Post by AE-NMidlands »

spread-tee wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:07 pm Somebody just needs to tell the politicians

Desp
Link didn't work for me, this might work
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... -the-world
(‘No miracles needed’: Prof Mark Jacobson on how wind, sun and water can power the world)
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

Thanks for that, I have sausage finger syndrome............... :o

Desp
Blah blah blah
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Hmmm...
Jacobson’s claim is a big one. He is not just talking about a shift to 100% renewable electricity, but all energy – and fossil fuels still provide about 80% of that today. Jacobson has scores of academic papers to his name and his work has been influential in policies passed by cities, states and countries around the world targeting 100% green power. He is also controversial, not least for pursuing a $10m lawsuit against researchers who claimed his work was flawed, which he later dropped.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
ClockmanFRA

Post by ClockmanFRA »

spread-tee wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:07 pm Somebody just needs to tell the politicians

Desp

Green eye, Desp, Green eye.

The more you do the more they hate you.

Personal experience.
Mart

Post by Mart »

As I mentioned on my 'splitter' thread, been following this guy and his Stanford team for years. I think it's so important to point out that we have most of the answers today, and they are economical. This augurs well for the future as things will only get better. It's similar to the argument that it's now cheaper to fight AGW, than to not, and that's without costing in the externalities.

Think about it, just a decade ago PV and offshore wind were extremely expensive in the UK (£/MWh), onshore wind was closer but still uncompetitive, and folk up and down the country thought it would blight our views. Now these technologies are all leading the charge. Add in the massive expansion of HVDC interconnectors.

Cheerful news (along the lines of this thread) is that a quarter of a terrawatt of PV was installed last year around the World. This year it could be a third of a TW. And PV manufacturing costs have fallen again in China. By 2030, annual deployments should be around 1TWp each year. That got my odd brain spinning for a scale:

1TWp at UK capacity factors (~11%), would equal 110GW of generation 24/7 (purely for comparison). That's about what the UK will consume in an all leccy future with demand around 2.5x what it is today, or ~100GW average. So by 2030, just annual PV deployments will be displacing a whole future UK demand, and still growing. Pop them in a sunnier country with single axis trackers and you have 2 UK's pa, just from new PV.

Sorry for the nonsense numbers, my brain does weird things if allowed to run free, but it does look like we have an extremely promising RE future ahead ....... but still way too much CO2 in the atmosphere/environment, but, one victory at a time.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Mart wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:09 am And PV manufacturing costs have fallen again in China.
However retail prices have risen! Was 25p/Wp a few years ago, we're not far off double that nowadays!
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Oliver90owner

Post by Oliver90owner »

Likely a miracle is needed whatever we do now, if this process accelerates.

Methane, and sequestered CO2 (afterwards), escaping to the atmosphere may negate any hope we have of averting an accelerating rise in global temperature.

nowty

Post by nowty »

Oliver90owner wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 am Likely a miracle is needed whatever we do now, if this process accelerates.

Methane, and sequestered CO2 (afterwards), escaping to the atmosphere may negate any hope we have of averting an accelerating rise in global temperature.
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3