Question Time audience asked: Was Boris Johnson telling truth?

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Adokforme

Question Time audience asked: Was Boris Johnson telling truth?

Post by Adokforme »

Just for a change, it seems I'm not the only one in step. :o
Oliver90owner

Re: Question Time audience asked: Was Boris Johnson telling truth?

Post by Oliver90owner »

This thread appears to be a political issue, not one for discussion on most sensibly regulated fora. Maybe should be removed?

Those that are not influenced by such things surely know that politicians do not lie - but neither do they always speak the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Usually, when asked a direct question, a politician will avoid a direct answer - often deflecting the subject matter in a manner which avoids any embarrassment.

Personally, I expect he did not actually blatantly lie and statements made were carefully worded to avoid it - but, as usual, some only hear what they think they want to hear. A lot of Joe Public are not really sharp enough to analyse exactly what was said.

The £18 billion payments to the EU was one such political ploy, at the time of brexit. The difference between ‘gross’ and ‘nett’ was simply beyond the scope of many to work out that the top line of EU charges was, in fact, £18B, but that figure did not reflect all the reductions - represented by payments from the EU to the UK. Dimwits thought that it cost the country £18B to be a member of the ‘club’ but many fewer actually kew the true figure actually handed over was far less. Those same people would not understand that there could be a member of the ‘club’ who was reimbursed with most of the gross costs of their membership.

Think of one’s vehicle insurance - the maximum figure is reduced (and sometimes increased) by a number of factors - no claims bonus, car type, driver history, area of the country, etc, etc, etc, etc.

All politicians are the same. I trust replies, from any and all of them, as no more than opaque garbage requiring careful analysis.
Caesium

Post by Caesium »

Oliver90owner wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:48 am This thread appears to be a political issue, not one for discussion on most sensibly regulated fora. Maybe should be removed?
It was quite refreshing having a politics-free forum to read, so have to agree on this. Intentionally not commenting further on the the thread content.
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

I didn't see it as a political post, it was simply that I was staggered that not one person person raised their hand and wondered if others might be too.
Apologies if it caused offence, it certainly wasn't intended and posted under Media and Culture which seemed appropriate.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

It's a shame politics is not in favour here, the whole renewable, sustainable movement is intensely political, we absolutely need to get the politicians to act decisively, quickly or nothing will happen. What we do as individuals or collectively on the forum here is invisible to the issues, but as a pressure group could have an impact.

Having said that I do agree it is nice to have a politics free zone, a political board easily avoidable by those who wish to could work?

I do like your post RAB, do you do irony??
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Thing is what happens with renewables / does not happen with renewables, ..even nowty's "ladder storage" is to do with politics, just like filling up a car with petrol or electrons.

Whether small scale home fit or a deemed ban on onshore commercial wind turbines ..it all comes down to politics.
(queue another ripple discussion as to why solar & not another turbine project)

Tariffs on solar, market flooding etc, where do you draw the line as it is clearly everywhere.
I don't watch tv because of various degrees of political interference & obfuscation from the top down (so called impartiality .my ass) instead getting less (slightly) het up by keeping up to date via also bbc, radio4 / world service, as well as too much tv mulch, & storylines news of life that rinse & repeat rankle me, I turned off, including iplayer.

Regardless of any politics on here the clip is damned interesting, on both political & tv & radio shows parties try to get their local joe public members often stalwarts in to hold party views & support their aligned speaker at the mic, ..what the clip showed was that even dyed in the wool tories could not support the idiot over the subject in question, notably making sure their arms were down & no mistake.

& that is a big departure for a political group on tv no less, which is why it is here I reckon.

How do you avoid politics successfully in daily life, also no tv, or is that allowed? i''m seriously interested, as someone who lost a partner to a morning drunk driver via grisly incident (a bloody well played out scenario on mainstream tv) & physical abuse throughout childhood ..(another nigh on daily script subject for any tv channel) & at the hands of a bullwhipping dodgy member of the clergy (plenty of historical & ongoing scandal there) ...too many health wrecking reminders.

I can turn off the radio, & do (esp womans hour ..jenny murray, yuck) but total isolation & to expect everyone everywhere, strangers included to comfort wrap us from mental upset in daily life is patently ridiculous, it's not their burden, I cannot however get up & turn off a tv that others are watching & commenting on ..its what stops me going to a local pub where sky sports is expected to be football, darts, snooker unless I can tune out several projector screens & tv's & speakers (there's hell to pay if I ask for maybe what amounts to 5 hours of snowboarding competition broadcast over winter & early spring, even if it is the winter olympics & I knew some of the competitors & was talking to someone representing at the olympics at the time)

We face many obstacles in life, is yours (this) simply a preference to avoid it in certain elemments of your life (living it fully in others) via a virtual anechoic chamber? how do you shut it out & demand complicity from those engaging even on the very edge occasionally?

Erecting solar? buying bev? dieselgate? fishing stocks? royal family? vat on renewables? council tax? a new prototype bev from vw? all boil down to politics, legislation or easment, sway & influence via political means.

Life is a form of: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Deg ... evin_Bacon

Its a genuine question, I need to stifle internal bleeding caused by all of the bad stuff, so any tweak, im all ears!
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

Adokforme wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:16 pm I didn't see it as a political post, it was simply that I was staggered that not one person person raised their hand and wondered if others might be too.
Apologies if it caused offence, it certainly wasn't intended and posted under Media and Culture which seemed appropriate.
I was also astonished at the result. It seemed like a reasonable and mixed audience, so I doubt anyone was too scared nor embarassed to put their hand up if they felt he was telling the truth. Certainly shocked me, and I hope politicians will pay attention.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.