Have you got 5 mins to listen to Sir David King ?

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
renewablejohn

Re: Have you got 5 mins to listen to Sir David King ?

Post by renewablejohn »

Did anybody actually bother listening to the video rather than just criticise the man.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

renewablejohn wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:25 pm Did anybody actually bother listening to the video rather than just criticise the man.
I did.
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

So did I, it seems very close to total rubbish, for instance he likens the climate to red paint, once you have painted a canvas red, more red paint doesn't make it any more red. WTF is that all about?? also he talks about the molecular angle the two oxygen atoms make with the carbon and likens it to a bendy rod?? then baldly states that once all the absorption is done how can any more happen? doesn't explain why no more will happen.

ITS FUCKING RUBBISH
Blah blah blah
nowty

Post by nowty »

renewablejohn wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:25 pm Did anybody actually bother listening to the video rather than just criticise the man.
I did too, a quick overview last night and a more thorough review this evening, its laughable from beginning to end and its full of the usual half truth's which climate denier's churn out to make themselves sound plausible.

Its got some right gems,

Says most of the warming was over by the 1940’s so it cant be anything to do with carbon.
Really ?, two thirds of the warming has happened since 1975.

Talks about El Nino correctly, but uses it to shug off some of the extremes.
Whatever.

He answered a loaded question about the temperature went up a few tenths of a degree in the late 1980’s, we don’t really know why that was.
Completely ignoring all the other years its been increasing.

He suggests increasing CO2 from 400ppm to 800ppm might cause a 1 degree of warming. Then waffles on about painting a bar with several coats of paint and it can’t get any more red.
WTF ?, We already increased by over 1 degree and the CO2 level has only gone up about 100ppm.

Compares climate change policies with prohibition and mass hysteria, talks about fascists and communists in Europe having catastrophic effects.
Eh ?........

There is no rapid global warming, its hasn’t happened, the models have enormously exaggerated it.
Really ?, the earth has not warmed this fast in tens of millions of years.

Other half truths about Arctic/Antarctic ice, fails to acknowledge that glaciers and ice shelves are all melting rapidly.

And look him up on Wikipedia,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Happer

Climate change position
Happer disagrees with the scientific consensus on climate change, stating that "Some small fraction of the 1 °C warming during the past two centuries must have been due to increasing CO2, which is indeed a greenhouse gas", but argues that "most of the warming has probably been due to natural causes."[17] Michael Oppenheimer said that Happer’s claims are "simply not true" and that the preponderance of evidence and majority of expert opinion points to a strong anthropogenic influence on rising global temperatures.[18] Climate Science Watch published a point-by-point rebuttal to one of Happer’s articles.[19] A petition that he coauthored to change the official position of the American Physical Society to a version that raised doubts about global warming was overwhelmingly rejected by the APS Council.[20] Happer has no formal training as a climate scientist,[5] and says that his beliefs about climate change come from his experience at the Department of Energy, at which he supervised all non-weapons energy research, including climate change research.[18]

In 2014, Happer said that the "demonization of carbon dioxide is just like the demonization of the poor Jews under Hitler."[21][22][23]
16.9kW PV > 102MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I don't get into any of it.

The whole things fucked and it's getting more fucked faster.

Southern Europe's really fucked this year.

IMHO, should buy a property and acres on the NW flank of Norway and get ready for high water & sunblock 100 from 2028 with a really big gun.

It's not going to get any better until we have a smashing big population die off across the globe, 80% or so will do including me.

Most people met are head in sand or free dumb. 8,000,000,000 at the last look?

Them's the breaks.

In the interim though, we as people who give a shit and were born reasonably wired, we'll do what we can realising the carousel is only going to be spinning faster and there is no jump off point. Next question 🤔, :D

I draw solace from this
https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet ... ave-africa

P.S We (the entire forum board), represent 0.0000042375% of population. :lol:
18.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Mart

Post by Mart »

spread-tee wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:12 pm So did I, it seems very close to total rubbish, for instance he likens the climate to red paint, once you have painted a canvas red, more red paint doesn't make it any more red. WTF is that all about?? also he talks about the molecular angle the two oxygen atoms make with the carbon and likens it to a bendy rod?? then baldly states that once all the absorption is done how can any more happen? doesn't explain why no more will happen.

ITS FUCKING RUBBISH
Wish I'd gone with your accurate and concise response.

AGW denial is simply too dangerous to tolerate anymore.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

Mart I do not deny the planet suffers from global warming due to the greenhouse effect its the suggestion that CO2 is the culprit which I find rediculous. Its not rocket science linking the acceleration in the rise of global warming to the increase in high altitude pollution caused by an ever increasing volume in aircraft flights. The theory was tested in practice purely by accident due to covid and the results confirned the devastating effect pumping pollution at high altitude has on the planet. But have the planes stopped flying at high altitude of course not instead its totally denied as a problem with ever increasing volumes of flights and instead the blame is put on those pesky farmers creating all that CO2 and Nitrate pollution. Well I have news for you the wheels have finally fallen off this wacky paid for science. The Dutch farmers are leading the way in calling out this legal abuse of climate science to rule the population.
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

Spread tee Dont get confused with the red paint is just another analogy for the law of diminishing returns which is found throughout nature.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

it wasnt JUST planes that stopped during covid though was it, people were ordered to "stay at home" changing all sorts of uses, travel otherwise made etc.
Production shut down, (not just factories but whole supply chains that had institutionalised "last minute" supply & are even nowvying for scarce price reactive stocks, meaning plenty went to the wall or exited the market sector.

For instance our flight to Germany was down to just a few per week, (every 2-3 days I think, thus our plane was viable as it was full (this was B.A)
I did ask, & write about it at the time, ghost town running at between 5-10% capacity for a big uk city airport, but it was a link in a chain of movement reduction, not the keymaster.

If we took a snapshot of how much less sea traffic, motorways etc all cessation was collective impact on the figures.
Flight is a major contributor but not the only reason for drop (important as it is to scale back)

Motorways were quiet to the point you were incredibly wary of cops seeing you out (we actually did not see one during lockdown months whatsoevrr) as you felt you'd be singled out & questioned, that turned out to be infrequent farcereliant on herd mentality rather than people being allowed movement having taken proper distancing & masking / hygiene measures & getting on with things.

We were early mask users, the whole "exhaust air" masks being banned was ballhookswhen you compare a dedicated mask of higher protection to that of flim flam minimal (questionable) requirements ..all air evacuates from general purpose masks, ..& everyone should have been wearing masks but didn't, so banning one type of mask over not wearing a mask at all was atypical stupidity trotted out by plebs on all levels.

How much less diesel from train stock was around (service reduction) for instance, where are reliable reduction stats for the shut down on other transportation & further afield?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Mart

Post by Mart »

renewablejohn wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:52 am Mart I do not deny the planet suffers from global warming due to the greenhouse effect its the suggestion that CO2 is the culprit which I find rediculous.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

You may disagree with the virtually unanimous* scientific position, but just like me, I suspect you are completely unqualified to do so.

*Now we are in the 'march of the 9's' with 99.9 ....... %
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.