Have you got 5 mins to listen to Sir David King ?

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
richbee

Re: Have you got 5 mins to listen to Sir David King ?

Post by richbee »

Mart wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:44 am
renewablejohn wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:52 am Mart I do not deny the planet suffers from global warming due to the greenhouse effect its the suggestion that CO2 is the culprit which I find rediculous.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts.

You may disagree with the virtually unanimous* scientific position, but just like me, I suspect you are completely unqualified to do so.

*Now we are in the 'march of the 9's' with 99.9 ....... %
I think the effect of high altitude aviation is well documented - in that it considerably worsens the impact of the CO2 and other emissions from planes - is it roughly double 'normal' ground level CO2 emissions if you compare planes with cars etc - but seems to be no scientific doubt that CO2 and similar gases (eg. methane) are the main cause of greenhouse gas global warming.
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
nowty

Post by nowty »

Going back to the OP (bxman) video about the current heatwaves I just saw this from the UK Met office today which explains a bit about the current heatwave's and why its very similar to last year apart from the UK is not quite in the hot bit this time round. A loopy jetstream of wave number 5 pattern which is a bit stubborn to change.

16.9kW PV > 102MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

Mart What absolute tosh. Yes I can have my opinion and unlike you I am quite entitled to to my own facts. If you feel your not qualified to know your own facts then that is up to you but you would certainly not get very far farming without knowing your own facts and if you had to rely on the clueless scientists at Defra than the nation would be starving. You only have to look at the latest SFI (Sustainable Farming Initiative) to see how really clueless scientists are in their attempt to guide the uk to net zero.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

RJ,come on give us some science then, if it isn't CO2 what is it?, please explain with verifiable evidence.

Desp
Blah blah blah
Mart

Post by Mart »

renewablejohn wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:33 pm Mart What absolute tosh. Yes I can have my opinion and unlike you I am quite entitled to to my own facts. If you feel your not qualified to know your own facts then that is up to you but you would certainly not get very far farming without knowing your own facts and if you had to rely on the clueless scientists at Defra than the nation would be starving. You only have to look at the latest SFI (Sustainable Farming Initiative) to see how really clueless scientists are in their attempt to guide the uk to net zero.
Of course I wouldn't get far with farming, as I know nothing nothing about farming. That's why I would accept the opinion of farming experts, rather than claim I know better than them.

You may be comfortable claiming / believing that you know better than the virtually unanimous position held by climate scientists, but I'm not.

As I keep saying, you are entitled to your own opinions, but not to your own facts. The reason I'm so disgusted at you pushing AGW denial, with such hoaxes as the thoroughly debunked "CO2 is plant food" spin argument, is that folk are getting harmed. The longer we slowroll action, or make up excuses and distractions, the more harm that will be done.

Denying that the problem is the enormous release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, or a believe that the addition of more has less and less impact (like painting something red), is harmful. You might as well be on here claiming that cigarettes don't cause serious health impacts, because you knew a farmer that smoked all his/her life. Or that asbestos isn't dangerous, because a farm building has some, or that taking thalidomide when pregnant is safe, because many farm animals have off spring.

TBH, I should have stuck with my comment from a month or so back, when you were pushing this garbage, rather than have fed you, and given oxygen to your comments.

"I'm going to buy one of these, just to not touch that post with it."
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Nowty, thanks for that post on the weather cells that are trapping the heat dome, is it a similar phenomenon in Arizona ? I see this morning that they have held a stupidly high temperature for an exceptional number of days now.

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:36 am Nowty, thanks for that post on the weather cells that are trapping the heat dome, is it a similar phenomenon in Arizona ? I see this morning that they have held a stupidly high temperature for an exceptional number of days now.

Moxi
Yes, the Met Office man says the "loopy jetstream of wave number 5 pattern" has 5 lows and 5 highs around northern hemisphere which are stubborn to change so the low and high pressure regions in the northern hemisphere have not changed much in the last fortnight with at least another week to go.

He does comment on each of them and for the High pressure "heat domes", one is in western USA, one is in southern Europe, one is in China (which has also broken a record with over 52 degrees), one in mid pacific and the last one in mid atlantic.

He says if we had a wave number 3 pattern, i.e. 3 highs and 3 lows around the northern hemisphere the weather patterns would be more mobile.

Again its another likely phenomenon of climate change because of a weaker jetstream driven by the warming of the arctic.
https://www.carbonbrief.org/jet-stream- ... er-events/
16.9kW PV > 102MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

Mart How many times do I have to say its not AGW denial its a question of not blaming CO2 as the culprit. Its so simple if you start with the realisation that CO2 is less than 0.04% of the atmosphere and the real culprit is water vapour at upto 4% in the atmosphere. (Dont take my word for it as climate scientists keep spouting the greenhouse effect is caused by CO2 and water vapour) CO2 is not a problem in the low atmosphere as its part of the earths natural cycle between animals and plants. The problen only arises with CO2 in the upper atmosphere which is directly caused by human intervention in the form of high altitude flights. Easily solved by banning high altitude flights and restricting aviation to low level aviation below the water vapour threshold. Remove the upper barrier and the leaky vapour barrier can carry on working like it did prior to the aviation era. For another farming analogy its the same as I do gtowing crops in the winter. My normal polytunnel is the upper atmosphere I then have a second polytunnel inside the first which is equivalent to the lower atmosphere. Plants outside quite often below freezing, Plants in outer polytunnel have frost occasionally, Plants in inner polytunnel remain in the 5C to 25C frost protected zone.
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

Nowty Please dont blame the weather situation on climate change. Stable periods like this have always happened around this time of year we even have folklore sayings warning you about it. If it rains on St Swithins day we wil have rain for 40 days days and nights. And yes it was raining here on St Swithins day this year and so far it has not stopped raining. So much for wanting to make some hay.
Mart

Post by Mart »

renewablejohn wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:22 am Mart How many times do I have to say its not AGW denial its a question of not blaming CO2 as the culprit.
CO2 plus some other greenhouse gases, are the problem. That's the scientific conclusion, and always has been, in fact 60% of the scientific papers back in the 60's and 70's came to that conclusion, and the figure has only grown with another 50yrs of scientific research and actual real life confirmation of the predictions. Please stop denying your denials.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.