Labour’s ‘rooftop revolution’ to deliver solar power to millions of UK homes

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mart

Re: Labour’s ‘rooftop revolution’ to deliver solar power to millions of UK homes

Post by Mart »

NoraBatty wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:02 pm It may actually help us to have solar over the fields, until soil structure can be organically built back up. Which would take years .
Glad you mentioned this, as I'd forgotten it completely. There are many studies confirming that the soil quality, and carbon content are raised over time, by 'resting' the land with PV. I think the growth in wild flowers and mixed plants (I mentioned earlier) also add to this.

Found a good article in Farmers Weekly covering this, but need to point out that it's promotional content from an RE company. But still worth a read, I think. However, I appreciate that 15-25yrs is a very long time, when it comes to soil rotation, and rest.

Beyond the standards of practice: How solar land use can improve soil health
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Ken

Re: Labour’s ‘rooftop revolution’ to deliver solar power to millions of UK homes

Post by Ken »

There is no shortage of building land,no shortage of farm land and no shortage of land for the required quantity of PV. etc

The idea that one of these precludes another is false. PV needs grid connections, farming requires quality land and house building needs infrastructure.

So much of the land thought of as farm land because it is green is nothing of the sought it is rubbish land only fit for grazing which can be done very well under PV whilst also improving the quality of the sheep and sheep improve the land.

The rooftop revolution (and batts) is helped considerably by the declining costs of PV but is hindered badly by the renting model particularly of the large industrial roofs. Large industrial roofs could play a big part because the timing of supply has some correlation with demand.

I do wonder if PV with a capacity factor of 11% and seasonal production, is actually a better investment than wind with a capacity factor of c35% which strongly alignes with high winter demand. ie a kwh produced in winter is more valuable than a summer kwh.

At the end of the day we need everything and the market place will sought it out.
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Ken wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:29 am There is no shortage of building land,no shortage of farm land and no shortage of land for the required quantity of PV. etc

The idea that one of these precludes another is false. PV needs grid connections, farming requires quality land and house building needs infrastructure.

So much of the land thought of as farm land because it is green is nothing of the sought it is rubbish land only fit for grazing which can be done very well under PV whilst also improving the quality of the sheep and sheep improve the land.

The rooftop revolution (and batts) is helped considerably by the declining costs of PV but is hindered badly by the renting model particularly of the large industrial roofs. Large industrial roofs could play a big part because the timing of supply has some correlation with demand.

I do wonder if PV with a capacity factor of 11% and seasonal production, is actually a better investment than wind with a capacity factor of c35% which strongly alignes with high winter demand. ie a kwh produced in winter is more valuable than a summer kwh.

At the end of the day we need everything and the market place will sought it out.
Cheers @Ken, I couldn't disagree with anything you've written there. So, after a decade of dithering let's crack on with it.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Power purchase agreements have agreed at been slightly higher prices for solar than wind over the past few years in the UK. For an end user the power is more valuable because you get the power during the day when most leccy is used. Think of Dan_b’s workplace setup.

And to an energy supplier the power from Solar is more deterministic than Wind, so they can make better hedging decisions.

The operating costs for solar is less and most of it is in the south of England nearer where power is needed.

https://pexapark.com/solar-power-purcha ... %20example.

Thanks to the low cost of solar technology, solar is now one of the cheapest renewables available. That is what makes solar PPAs popular. Generally speaking, a template of a solar PPA is comparable to that of a wind PPA, except for their profile risk. A solar asset has a relatively lesser risk than a wind farm because a solar asset does not produce energy during the night time, for example.”
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Tinbum

Post by Tinbum »

Ken wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:29 am
That's fair enough if it's that land that's being used but it's not.
85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, 8kWh Growatt storage, 22 x US3000C Pylontech, Sofar ME3000's, Brosley wood burner and 250lt DHW