Labour to use royal land to boost wind energy

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Coriolis

Re: Labour to use royal land to boost wind energy

Post by Coriolis »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:34 pm One point I picked up on was that having the Crown Estate put money in (from surplus which would otherwise go to the exchequer) it doesn't count as government / public spending!

I have no problem at all with public spending, especially for investment, but if this means that we can invest but avoid criticism under the arbitrary rules of the international financial community then I'm all for it.
A
Is that accurate? The explanatory notes for the Crown Estate Bill laid before Parliament today states that:

[The Crown Estate] is a statutory corporation established by The Crown Estate Act 1961 and classified by the Office for National Statistics for the purposes of national accounts as a public corporation, reflecting the fact that its revenues are generated through commercial activities.

A quick skim of national statistics show ONS include it in the public sector accounting perimeter.