Standing Charge abolition. Why is it so difficult?

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Countrypaul

Re: Standing Charge abolition. Why is it so difficult?

Post by Countrypaul »

nowty wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:11 pm
Countrypaul wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:49 am As I understand the standarding charge for electricity, there are two main parts (please correct me if I have misinterpreted). one part is for provision of the service so maintenance of cables, repairs etc. and one is to pay for the companies that went bust/subsidised etc.
From the OFGEM options paper,
https://consult.ofgem.gov.uk/energy-sup ... ptions.pdf
Soon as I finished posting I saw you had those posted links giving a full explanation. - Thanks
I have been reading through since, but as usual with those sort of docs, not just a 2 minute scan :shock:
Mart

Re: Standing Charge abolition. Why is it so difficult?

Post by Mart »

What I like the most about a zero standing charge, or a 'petrol forecourt price' as I used to refer to it, is that you see/get bigger benefits form energy saving. Change your lightbulbs and you will save more because the unit price will be higher. PV installs will save you more, again because the unit price is higher. It helps to encourage us all to shift to more efficient devices.

[Ideally, average users won't see any change in their total annual bills.]

I appreciate that higher users will pay more, but lower users will pay less, and many low users will be 'the poorer'. I don't think it would be difficult for those with medical/social reasons for high demand, to register for a support mechanism.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.