HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Adokforme

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by Adokforme »

While closer to home new life appears to have been breathed back into the project below. So I'm hoping the matter can be resolved amicably allowing it to go ahead. :)
Aquind: Government loses bid to block cross-Channel electricity cable
The UK government's decision to refuse permission for a £1.2bn electricity link between England and France has been overturned in the High Court.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64388577
nowty

Post by nowty »

Adokforme wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:49 pm While closer to home new life appears to have been breathed back into the project below. So I'm hoping the matter can be resolved amicably allowing it to go ahead. :)
Aquind: Government loses bid to block cross-Channel electricity cable
The UK government's decision to refuse permission for a £1.2bn electricity link between England and France has been overturned in the High Court.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64388577
If local folk don't understand the need for it now, they never will. :roll:
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

I mean, the AQUIND project is mired in the stench of dodgy financing, but I really don't understand the local objections to it - it's not as if it's a coal fired power station being built in the city belching pollution on a permanent basis- it's an underground cable.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

"It is expected that if Squadron Energy gains control of Sun Cable, it will scrap the undersea cable plan."

That doesn't sound like good news?!
Adokforme wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:24 pm I wasn't previously aware of administrators being required for the Sun Cable project so not sure if the piece below is good news. Guess we'll have to wait another three months before we find out!

Administrators move swiftly to settle future of Sun Cable
Two of Australia’s richest people are expected to be rivals in the bidding process for Sun Cable, the developer of what could be the world’s biggest intercontinental solar and energy storage project. Administrators indicate that the sale process could be completed within three months.
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2023/01/24/ ... sun-cable/
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

dan_b wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:23 am I mean, the AQUIND project is mired in the stench of dodgy financing, but I really don't understand the local objections to it - it's not as if it's a coal fired power station being built in the city belching pollution on a permanent basis- it's an underground cable.
Do they still burn witches down there? :lol:

I'll get my coat....
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

dan_b wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:24 am "It is expected that if Squadron Energy gains control of Sun Cable, it will scrap the undersea cable plan."

That doesn't sound like good news?!
Adokforme wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:24 pm I wasn't previously aware of administrators being required for the Sun Cable project so not sure if the piece below is good news. Guess we'll have to wait another three months before we find out!

Administrators move swiftly to settle future of Sun Cable
Two of Australia’s richest people are expected to be rivals in the bidding process for Sun Cable, the developer of what could be the world’s biggest intercontinental solar and energy storage project. Administrators indicate that the sale process could be completed within three months.
https://www.pv-magazine.com/2023/01/24/ ... sun-cable/
Precisely dan-b. Erring on the bright side, that's why I suggested we should have to wait 3 months to find out.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

If we think the Morocco Sun Power HDVC link project is bonkers (and it kind of is) then this Australia-Singapore SunPower link is even more insane
Mart

Post by Mart »

dan_b wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:38 pm If we think the Morocco Sun Power HDVC link project is bonkers (and it kind of is) then this Australia-Singapore SunPower link is even more insane
Both schemes seem bonkers to me, especially the Morocco CfD figure of £48/MWh (~£60 index linked).

But I say bonkers, not in the sense that I know it can't be done, but that I hope it can, and I'm miles out. If it's possible (despite my doubts), then it's phenomenal, and might mean the Aussie idea will work (HVDC, not H2)?

I find the Morocco scheme incredibly exciting, but I'm waiting for the bad news, reality hit.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Minor update to AQUIND - another plot twist!

Although the UK Courts overturned the rejection of planning permission by Kwasi "lose a quick buck" Kwartang, meaning that from the UK side, it lookedlike the project can go ahead - another spanner has now been thrown into its works across the Channel.

The original funding scheme for AQUIND was that it would have received significant cash from the EU's "Projects of Common Interest" fund.

The French Government has recently successfully lobbied for it to be removed from the PCI list on the basis that the UK is no longer in the EU and shouldn't receive EU subsidy. AQUIND attempted to get the decision overturned at the CJEU, but their appeal has just failed.

It's interesting because you'd think France ultimately would benefit from another HVDC link into its grid - but then they also rejected planning permission for the GridLink project last year too, so maybe they're shifting strategically to the other EU nations on its borders?
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Maybe the french should withdraw from the UK energy market then.

"common interest"
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more