Nio 150kWh battery

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Stinsy

Re: Nio 150kWh battery

Post by Stinsy »

Jinx wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:25 am Stopping every 100 miles would put most people off imo, 200 maybe, approx 3 hours of motorway, nobody pee’s every 90 minutes!
Also the fact a 15min charge is actually, if you’re lucky, a 25-30min stop, once you have exited, parked, payed, then the reversal. Longer charging is more efficient time wise as the faff then becomes a lower percentage of stop time. Once a year holiday goers it might be bearable but not for even semi regular trips.
You’re supposed to stop every 2hrs for 20mins to avoid fatigue related accidents. I struggle to average more than 50-60mph on British motorways due to heavy traffic, roadworks, etc. so that is every 100miles. I get that most people like to go longer than that but an accident, even a minor one, will delay you much longer than a rest break, so it is unwise to push it too far.

Additionally, it is quicker to do lots of short stops than fewer longer ones. Watch Bjorn’s “1000km challenge” videos on yoooochooob, the quickest way is to take on just enough to get you to the next rapid charger. In reality you might want to do fewer, longer, charging stops to give you time to eat, or to make a phone call, or whatever, but that isn’t the quickest way.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Ken

Post by Ken »

These type of discussions have been going on for yrs and originally 100ml was the aim and as soon as we do actually get that 200ml and then as soon as we get that its 300ml.

The other aspect is that its all me me me as if anybody could actually care a farht about your usage as it will not be identical to the next persons.

Its horses for courses and the distribution of EV and their capabilities will be,if not already as varied as the present ICE vehicles.

Car Cos spend a lot of money on market research and we can do the same by just looking around.

Regardless of my choice/preference there is no doubt that the mass market EV is only just coming and that will be like the Tesla 2/BYD Dolphin etc 50kwh, 100kw max charging, 200ml, £25K or less at todays money. For one thing this will become the "hire car" aka Fiesta, Corsa etc.

Others will want to spend more on something exotic as humans dont change and they have been making RR for yrs.

Newbies will soon learn that it is not as bad as the Daily M would have one believe and that the place to charge at is NOT at a MSA at midday in summer. I see reports of this or that MSA being chockers but when you look around on Zap map there are loads of empty chargers sometimes within walking distance of the MSA and a much better ambience. eg Exeter.

EV driving is just great and you dont need an expensive over sized car to do it in but you can if you want- even RR make an EV with carbon fibre wheels at £4K a wheel if you want.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Please Please dont drive from Scotand to West Country non stop. I once saw a car where the driver had gone to sleep and gone head on into a lorry, believe me you would not see worse in a war zone and people have to clear up the mess.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

I echo kens sentiments.

An early start one morning to get the shade at wickstead park (daughter was maybe 5) meant we saw a car packed with kids, wife, dad at the wheel, duvets all sorts going on holiday? ...car was opposite side of dual carriageway, must have fallen asleep , car hits barriers, somehow go's under & they lift, they shoot across our two lanes luckily avoiding us & just before a lorry behind us, up the embankment.

We stop, marvel at the lack of decapitation via car roof & barriers (design or luck), get our then 5/6 yr old kid out of car sit her down at a safe distance up the bank & attend to "yet another" encountered accident, ...bloody nurses are always making us late by means of intervention & medical assistance, she reeall ought to start charging, costs us a fortune in first aid kits (buy them 5 at a time)

I got debris out of the road, lorry stopped, we both moved dual lane traffic on whilst I called Emergency services... kids were luckily somewhat cushioned from car debris by duvets & pillows..

A lucky escape, one of many we've witnessed & acted upon, amazingly still got to wickstead park before opening time.

We hate the broken / suspected broken necks (stabilisation from a back seat of a wreck really tests your resolve to keep perfectly still in an awkward position whilst hoping for an ambulance as it has become these days) as does performing resus to victims thrown out of their cars (to cool for seat belts brigade)

(my wife is increasingly used to hearing an ambulance arrival estimate given as 2 hours these days) ..easier to take a break.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Andy

Post by Andy »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:13 am
Andy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:33 pm
Stinsy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:43 pm And if you are stopping you might as well charge.
I presume chargers have been accessible for you? Last time we went in the EV charging added 7 1/2 hours to the journey due to negotiating chargers that were all occupied/broken/locking the car in etc. This happened in both directions so I'm afraid we take the diesel guzzler now. Last time we went I kept a weather eye on chargers on the way down. There were queues for all of them. So I am still not convinced.
Maybe that was a long time ago. Maybe you chose poor places to stop.

For example, MSAs are generally-speaking poor places to charge. I’ve seen people queuing for the 2x chargers at Oxford services when at the next junction is a 32 charger Instavolt site.
Nope, I did a lot of planning including live updates enroute of functioning chargers. We tried to stay away from services when possible. It was a complete lottery. At one place with 8 empty chargers it took 4 attempts to find a functioning one. (Bp pulse). No toilets either which wasn’t ideal.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Andy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:47 pm
Stinsy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:13 am
Andy wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:33 pm

I presume chargers have been accessible for you? Last time we went in the EV charging added 7 1/2 hours to the journey due to negotiating chargers that were all occupied/broken/locking the car in etc. This happened in both directions so I'm afraid we take the diesel guzzler now. Last time we went I kept a weather eye on chargers on the way down. There were queues for all of them. So I am still not convinced.
Maybe that was a long time ago. Maybe you chose poor places to stop.

For example, MSAs are generally-speaking poor places to charge. I’ve seen people queuing for the 2x chargers at Oxford services when at the next junction is a 32 charger Instavolt site.
Nope, I did a lot of planning including live updates enroute of functioning chargers. We tried to stay away from services when possible. It was a complete lottery. At one place with 8 empty chargers it took 4 attempts to find a functioning one. (Bp pulse). No toilets either which wasn’t ideal.
I have seen those kind of stories in anti-EV newspaper articles but reality I’ve experienced doesn’t match. Lots of people on the EV forums say the same. Maybe you’re confusing what you’ve experienced with what you’ve read?

I’d rather walk than charge my BEV at a FF company such as BP or Shell so I disregard the existence of their chargers. Brands such as MFG, Instavolt, Ionity always seem to be adjacent to coffee shops, fast food restaurants, or whatever. And we’re past the Ecotricity days where chargers are unreliable.

I’m doing a c. 450 mile trip in the BEV at the weekend. Will report back.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)