HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
CrofterMannie

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by CrofterMannie »

Adokforme wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:45 pm We can confirm preliminary work is already underway as being up at Inverness last week there were several teams of geothermal guys lodging in the Halls of residence along with ourselves and sharing kitchen facilities. I think they were a little surprised when I quizzed them about what they were engaged upon but happy to pass info on otherwise. Geothermal may have been a rather grand term, their expression, as they were mostly engaged on thrusting long canes into the ground establishing the depth of peat in areas being considered for Pylons. It was the Peterhead to Drax link although I'd rather assumed it was overground as opposed to HVDC. Have to confess it's surely a much better outcome, unless your a fisherman perhaps.
Great to see progress happening. The dark clouds of stiffled renewable progress are slowly beginning to recede. :xx:
Surely if you met them in Inverness they were working on the Beauly/Blackhillock/Peterhead overhead line.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

CrofterMannie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 4:37 am
Adokforme wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:45 pm We can confirm preliminary work is already underway as being up at Inverness last week there were several teams of geothermal guys lodging in the Halls of residence along with ourselves and sharing kitchen facilities. I think they were a little surprised when I quizzed them about what they were engaged upon but happy to pass info on otherwise. Geothermal may have been a rather grand term, their expression, as they were mostly engaged on thrusting long canes into the ground establishing the depth of peat in areas being considered for Pylons. It was the Peterhead to Drax link although I'd rather assumed it was overground as opposed to HVDC. Have to confess it's surely a much better outcome, unless your a fisherman perhaps.
Great to see progress happening. The dark clouds of stiffled renewable progress are slowly beginning to recede. :xx:
Surely if you met them in Inverness they were working on the Beauly/Blackhillock/Peterhead overhead line.
Their words not mine. Maybe they've worked on both. They were from Edinburgh, but spend the week at Inverness, having weekends off. Eight hour days too. Didn't like to interrogate them further. :surrender:
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Greenlink Interconnector update - all cabling is now complete and actual system testing to begin in the next few weeks.

This is a 0.5GW HVDC link between Wales and Ireland.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

dan_b wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:29 am Greenlink Interconnector update - all cabling is now complete and actual system testing to begin in the next few weeks.

This is a 0.5GW HVDC link between Wales and Ireland.
Thanks @dan_b, another one added to the list.