Wind Farm Cancelled

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mr Gus

Re: Wind Farm Cancelled

Post by Mr Gus »

Too much fixation on renewables as a "total supply" coming from the usual dissenter I imagine, & being turned into mulch along the way.

Going back to what Joe is doing with a single / 2 panels, the premise for small scale solar has never been "power a house" ..logic dictates that anyone who cites that as reason enough to pooh pooh solar has blinkers on or an agenda through which they mould an argument against renewables / solar.

So, more climate change = more demand for cooling / heating across the year (maybe both)
Smallscale solar either dampens down that demand (say fans on in summer) or to offset extra hours of a small ashp blowing out some cool air, or to simply negate background standby in a home, occupied or otherwise.

For which small scale solar can ciut down on an average years energy requirements, smoothing the overall curve, maybe stopping an overworked village substation going bang, easing things by tweaking it downward over peak solar periods.

Not a magic 💊 that takes everyone off FF lets make that abundantly clear!
It would however force National grid to pull their fingers out & get on with change that they have been avoiding for a decade, more if you include their heads up from the turn of this century that solar, via fits was coming in.

If you went into a supermarket with a trolley, filled it, checked it out at the tills, only to have some absolute nobber say I could only have what I could cram into one weak shop provided plastic bag you'd be using choice expletives & calling them out, the whole process seems reliant on 1 bag idiot boy as to applying for unknown allowances (a fancy if you like) as to what you can have after you got it all together based on an outdated ruling (look where 1 child china got them)

Point being solar install explosion is still way off, the presumption that everyone has the money for a full on install to the max "norm" allowance is utter tosh, National grid ought be more on top of it by now, a mere 20 years after it was deemed up & coming, you need clear and quick portal access as to what an address / locality can absorb & work around it, nefore you buy, & earlycomers could amp it up maybe? god forbid they ever asked homeowners directly what they 'd like to fit & when (rather than a vague question on a marketing questionaire which gets pounced on & instantaneous phonecalls to sell you a system lickety split!

The very fact that solar is not being applied to new estates from scratch speaks mounds as to "cock-blocking" by design. all those permissions to turn a recemtly agricultural food producing field into mud then houses & everything required along the way "capacity & expansion" never seems to feature with roads n ' electrical loads when "box throwing" ..meaning smallscale solar of a deemed standard system likely equates to one house in 7 or 8 having a "full" capacity solar set up (unlikely enough if you go round counting rooftops to make the point of solar uptake in the 2020's

So small scale solar like a trickle feed to your car battery by comparison!
Not 100% renewables "dependecy"

So bearing in mind an estates roofing is wide & varied,gables, hips, multi directional ..all that & more, how are we looking based on the mult roofs small solar that would equate 1 in 7 or one in 8 principle, & moving upwards from that, for clarity please!?

Small scale solar, can be much more than "fans" it can assist with filtration to a domecile, it could make a difference to a patient at home using medical equipment with more assurity in an uncertain world ..but with china, italy, america, canada, etc etc increasingly under heat death pressure, fans are a good idea as an offset seasonally, the bloke that died the other day after working in a supermarket greenhouse? ..why did it not have seasonal solar fans / extraction? ..all the deaths you hear about in america because the homeowner / occupant was scared to put on A/C due to costs?

I used to work in 45c heat with no escape (a big factor in me never taking hot holidays since) it is not nice (no we did not have fans whatsoever)
A joeboy's son "type setup" as per this thread could off er a good bit of small scale adaptation to climate change & expand upon their systems with the new markets & product design that would inevitably arise from mass uptake & integration.

Once again I remind people that "whole house" heating & cooling is not an essential so much as core room heating & cooling, ..a respite as step one of improvement. ..look at the cooling room midwayround eden project bio-domes for example)

The direction we all needed to be heading 15 years ago.
Last edited by Mr Gus on Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Well the UK is and island we should just release the anchor and move it down towards equator - A/C A2A cooling is less energy intensive than heating a house for winter.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

That sums up our cottage quite well Mr Gus, loung is kept at a comfy level and all other rooms are cooler depending on their distance from the lounge. In warm weather the upstairs landing is coolest and all other rooms warmer relative to their distance from this area. Bedrooms are never heated, with the exception of the babies room in winter where a far infra red panel cycles on and off. Extra cold nights means a hot water bottle to pre heat the bed but that’s all. Never seen the point in heating empty rooms to above 6 degrees, lounge in winter always stays around 18 degrees due to the many tonnes of thermal mass contained in the inglenook fireplace and solid slate walls. The WBS keeps the thermal mass charged and even after a few days away the lounge is always warm enough to return to and quickly back to operational temperatures.

HF should be whirling away again today because up here the wind is gusting the rain is sideways and we are sheathed in low cloud and it’s cool out.

When did autumn arrive in July?

Moxi
Mart

Post by Mart »

Hi Gus, some good news as I recall an older Fully Charged episode looking at a new build estate (100 houses?), and this incorporated PV, some domestic storage, and 3phase. The 3phase was largely to allow for faster BEV charging potential, but I did wonder/hope if PV capacity and export would also be larger.

We've got two A2A units, so can't agree with you more about localised heating. They are near perfect for that role, and when there's enough spare PV generation, we can ramp up the temp, open the doors wide, and allow more heat to spread, whilst maintaining the room temp. the same applies to cooling which was negligible 5 years ago when we got the first unit, but now seems to be 2 or 3 weeks a year with these heat spikes that keep hitting. Having a cool room as a refuge not only helps me feel better, but I now find I'm more tolerant of the hotter rooms, garden etc, as I know I have an escape.

For a hybrid set up like mine, where the A2A helps to reduce GCH, and can in the shoulder months displace it completely, there's also some potential to use cheap rate leccy to add some additional heat through the night, to reduce the GCH burn in the morning to get temps back up. But this will depend on lots of variables, such as energy prices, and the lower COP at night, especially if the temps will be very low.

Even putting aside all environmental issues, even having just a small amount of PV, is a good economical measure for new properties, which will pay back on energy bills. With of course smaller systems having a higher %age of own consumption and import cost offsetting, whilst larger (and proportionately) cheaper systems allowing for export income, and battery storage now, or in the future.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:25 am
When did autumn arrive in July?

Moxi
SWMBO is telling me it’s sunny this morning back home but here at my folks not too far from you it’s been tipping down for a second day pretty much constantly and looks to continue until the early hours tomorrow. 🌧️

My father had the gas fire on yesterday. 😫
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Mart wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:45 am

We've got two A2A units, so can't agree with you more about localised heating. They are near perfect for that role, and when there's enough spare PV generation, we can ramp up the temp, open the doors wide, and allow more heat to spread, whilst maintaining the room temp. the same applies to cooling which was negligible 5 years ago when we got the first unit, but now seems to be 2 or 3 weeks a year with these heat spikes that keep hitting. Having a cool room as a refuge not only helps me feel better, but I now find I'm more tolerant of the hotter rooms, garden etc, as I know I have an escape.
I remember Mart, you bought one (for your conservatory initially, then with some lag, another) ..but it is still not whole house right? & did enable you to do it in affordable steps that are not offered in schemes whereby it is pretty much whole house take it or leave it, thus you did it piecemeal correct? ..which is what i'm on about, it allows controllable respite at a much cheaper price, where the homeowner proceeds beyond that point...down the line is up to them (thus many fence sitters who look at "whole house" ASHP fix as the only option to price, heating & controlling control, which we all know it is not)

Someone at risk of heatstroke in a home only really needs one cool room to utilise & get things under control, more are preferable, but the alternatives are also manifold, someone on shift may find that a secondary cool room (bedroom) desirable & worth investing in, ..down the road or from the get go, no problem there, but if we have both winters & summer seasons twisting around then prepared by the most affordable means makes sense.

Anderson shelter, one simple design deployed (not the best but you get the idea of mass deployment)
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more