Plug-in solar devices.

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Stinsy

Re: Plug-in solar devices.

Post by Stinsy »

nowty wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:00 pm
Pat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:39 pm But neither of those refers to adding a socket. Indeed my PV is connected upstream of the consumer unit (using a connection block) in parallel with the main supply.
So's mine and its probably against MCS rules to use a plug and socket anyway.

But I suspect the electrical regs will in time change to allow low powered solar plug in devices if these things become mainstream, especially if they are legal in some western European countries. In a similar way that you used to need an earth rod for an EV charger but now chargers have become safer and the latest regs had to have an amendment so you don't need one in certain circumstances.

AMENDMENT 1 TO THE 18TH EDITION ON ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGER INSTALLATIONS
The regulations have changed around the earthing of electrical charging equipment at electric vehicle charging points, making the installation of EV charging equipment safer, easier and quicker and will reduce the cost of installations for both the consumer and the installer. This is due to advances in technology that weren’t available when BS 7671:2018 was first published.
I agree the rules will probably change. Adding a 2kW+ solar inverter halfway along a ring is dumb, plug or no plug. But 200W is a different ballgame. The same principles apply, but in the real world a few hundred watts isn't going to make the difference between your house burning down or not.

Where they draw the line will of course be entirely arbitrary.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Pat

Post by Pat »

But I suspect the electrical regs will in time change to allow low powered solar plug in devices if these things become mainstream, especially if they are legal in some western European countries. In a similar way that you used to need an earth rod for an EV charger but now chargers have become safer and the latest regs had to have an amendment so you don't need one in certain circumstances.
I can't for the life of me see any reason to change the regulations to allow plugs with live pins. I doubt that this is legal anywhere in Europe, whatever the vendors may say*. It is just so easy to wire it in properly.

* Quotations from other countries wiring regulations eagerly awaited!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Pat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:27 pm
I can't for the life of me see any reason to change the regulations to allow plugs with live pins. I doubt that this is legal anywhere in Europe, whatever the vendors may say*. It is just so easy to wire it in properly.

* Quotations from other countries wiring regulations eagerly awaited!
What makes you think the pins would be live?

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Pat

Post by Pat »

It takes time for the inverter to detect loss of mains (and that's when it doesn't have a fault in the detection circuitry). Some UK specs allowed 5 seconds for the detection, others may differ. So for a certain time the pins of the plug will, of course, be live. It turns out that this live period coincides with the time just after your child has pulled out the plug and started touching the pins.
nowty

Post by nowty »

Pat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:58 pm It takes time for the inverter to detect loss of mains (and that's when it doesn't have a fault in the detection circuitry). Some UK specs allowed 5 seconds for the detection, others may differ. So for a certain time the pins of the plug will, of course, be live. It turns out that this live period coincides with the time just after your child has pulled out the plug and started touching the pins.
The Mastervolt Soladin 600 used to come with a 2 pin euro plug on it, in the UK, you had to cut it off. I know because I had one and yes I did cut it off.
The spec sheet for that is 100ms for cut out and that was ten years ago technology.

https://cdn.enfsolar.com/Product/pdf/In ... dc8980.pdf

16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Pat

Post by Pat »

Feel free to take the risk and hope it remains in good order. I was just trying to explain that it is against the wiring regulations, and for a good reason. It won't get much faster because it takes a certain number of ac cycles to detect that it isn't there. I would still like to see evidence that other countries are using different rules!
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Pat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:42 pm Feel free to take the risk and hope it remains in good order. I was just trying to explain that it is against the wiring regulations, and for a good reason. It won't get much faster because it takes a certain number of ac cycles to detect that it isn't there. I would still like to see evidence that other countries are using different rules!
Nope not against the wiring regs to use a plug. You can use one so long as it is a dedicated circuit.

nowty

Post by nowty »

Stinsy wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:29 pm
Pat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:42 pm Feel free to take the risk and hope it remains in good order. I was just trying to explain that it is against the wiring regulations, and for a good reason. It won't get much faster because it takes a certain number of ac cycles to detect that it isn't there. I would still like to see evidence that other countries are using different rules!
Nope not against the wiring regs to use a plug. You can use one so long as it is a dedicated circuit.
I think we are going to have to agree to disagree to maintain the harmony. ;)
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Pat

Post by Pat »

You can use one so long as it is a dedicated circuit.
That's simply not what it says. In fact the word 'dedicated' does not appear even once in that section.

However, you can believe whatever makes you happy. I shan't reply again...
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I'm sorry Pat. You've misunderstood the regs. Easily done. I'd be happy to explain and I'm sure others on here are also, but I fear you don't want to listen.