Put all of National Grid under state control, net zero campaigners urge

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mr Gus

Put all of National Grid under state control, net zero campaigners urge

Post by Mr Gus »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... gners-urge

Investors paid almost £9bn in dividends and share buyback schemes over last five years, report has revealed

Snippet
"The stock-market-listed firm, which counts the fund managers BlackRock, Vanguard and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority among its top five shareholders, has a 19% operating margin on its electricity business, allowing the board to fund an average £1bn a year in dividends"
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
spread-tee

Re: Put all of National Grid under state control, net zero campaigners urge

Post by spread-tee »

Yep, the whole system is a racket designed to make rich people even richer.

Desp
Blah blah blah
John_S

Post by John_S »

If one bothers to read the financial reports of National Grid, one easily sees that the capital investment in the UK transmission networks and the ESO, is significantly more than the profits of those networks.

Also, the dividends are issued with a scrip alternative with at least half, on average, being taken as scrip where the shareholders get extra shares instead of cash.

I always wonder if investment in improving transmission networks could be faster if our national and local government planning systems were less restrictive.
nowty

Post by nowty »

5% annual return on a near 38 billion market cap, a fairly standard return for an infrastructure company.
After average inflation, hardly any return at all.

I don't hold any stock directly but I do via one or two investment trusts.
16.9kW PV > 104MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

John_S wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:12 pm If one bothers to read the financial reports of National Grid, one easily sees that the capital investment in the UK transmission networks and the ESO, is significantly more than the profits of those networks.

Also, the dividends are issued with a scrip alternative with at least half, on average, being taken as scrip where the shareholders get extra shares instead of cash.

I always wonder if investment in improving transmission networks could be faster if our national and local government planning systems were less restrictive.
One would hope so, if the profit were more than the investment we would really be in trouble wouldn't we? Payment in kind is pretty tax effective, so that's OK

Desp
Blah blah blah