Buried, uk waste, & the mafia link.. BBCr4

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mr Gus

Buried, uk waste, & the mafia link.. BBCr4

Post by Mr Gus »

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... me-scandal

A trucker is on his deathbed. He wheezes. He coughs. Then he tape-records the tale of one of the worst environmental crimes in UK history: the illegal dumping of a million tonnes of waste near Derry, in Northern Ireland.

While Buried is a true-crime podcast at heart, following clues and tipoffs from the deathbed recording that led to “a bombshell twist that left us so shocked we didn’t even know what to say”, it’s also an issue they want their audience to think about deeply. “We want people to look at their bins in horror,” says Ashby. “It’s like a dark, horrible Narnia.”

Buried is available now on BBC Sounds and broadcast weekdays on BBC Radio 4 at 1.45pm from 23 January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001hf1w

10 x 15 min episodes.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Stinsy

Re: Buried, uk waste, & the mafia link.. BBCr4

Post by Stinsy »

I’ve been listening to that. Somehow I’m not surprised. The arbitrage between being paid to take expensive-to-dispose-of waste and just dumping it is just too high for certain aspects of society to ignore. If you fail to deal with organised crime this sort of thing will always happen…

While listening I kept thinking of how The Sopranos ran the waste industry of New Jersey.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
spread-tee

Re: Buried, uk waste, & the mafia link.. BBCr4

Post by spread-tee »

Not only expensive but also quite complicated to dispose of too. Lots of companies are quite picky about what they will take but with very little consistancy, some will take engine oil for instance but not old tyres, some take electricals, some wont, and god help you if you try to dispose of plasterboards, anyone would think it is a radioactive neuro-toxin. It's not so bad if you have say ten tonnes to loose, 2 skips from our regular company who sort all kinds of mixed waste without fuss for about 500 quid. but if you have a tonne of mixed you could need say 3 or 4 hippo bags which will be at least 350 quid if they will take it. More and more is getting categorised as controlled waste with fewer options for legal disposal. Hence the fly-tippers :twisted:

Desp
Blah blah blah