Embellishing twots are us.. Coren

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mr Gus

Embellishing twots are us.. Coren

Post by Mr Gus »

Cornwall EV trip at peak time rose tinted specs guy.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Re: Embellishing twots are us.. Coren

Post by nowty »

The 12 foot ladder does not seem to work so its old skool this time to view it. ;)
https://www.investorvillage.com/groups. ... d=23824425
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Swwils

Post by Swwils »

Damn those safety features in the chargers!
nowty

Post by nowty »

I found the old skool website also stops you if you view multiple times, but using the 12 foot ladder on the old skool site, :twisted:
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... 3D23824425
16.9kW PV > 103MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 20MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 500 m3
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

If his kids were "crying" at delays to access chargers at a peak time (likely an app would have highlighted this in a route planner making even more sense to splash & dash rather than "take it to the limit" on available chargers the outcome may have been lessened, but likely not the story for money he wants to put across (nice little rejuvenating earner for your flagging career, talk & debate shows to show your EV exhaust pipe scars eh)!?

I'd like to see the route planner in real time pertaining to that day with logged stops & status to be completely fair, & what charging infrastructure he sailed by.

Sounds like a job for zap maps.

Walk them then Coren, you'll see more tears & maybe witness your own stupidity (won't need a mirror)
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Andy

Post by Andy »

To be fair when I last went to Cornwall (relatives) it was a total nightmare with regards to functioning units. We attempted Aberdeen to Redruth (south of Cornwall) in one day.

I spent some time planning the route before leaving with multiple back up options at each charge point. I also aimed for 80% max top up each time.
We encountered
  • Units not giving advertised charging speeds. Sometimes as low as 20 kW on a 50kW unit. This despite us being the only car at the site.
  • Multiple units broken at a site. It took 4 attempts to get find a working one at a BP site with 8 units.
  • Getting locked into a unit and taking 45 minutes for the guy on the phone to get the latch to release so we could progress on the journey.
  • Multiple cases where the only unit wasn't working and waiting 40minutes + to get a phone operator who could reset the unit. We weren't always able to get to another charge location having moved on from another not working.
  • Chargers all occupied by people who had literally just arrived. They often charged to 100% as nobody seems to understand that the last 20% is SLOOOOW.
  • Waiting patiently for 40 minutes for a charger to have someone just arriving pull straight in as the other car pulled out. No interest in the fact there was a queue. At what point do you resort to violence?
  • Many places with not enough chargers given the passing traffic. E.g Exeter with both motorway directions using the same chargers. One of the three wasn't even working.
  • Chargers not working despite having checked before going.
  • No functioning chargers at various service stations resulting in no concurrency with regards to eating/using facilities and charging.
  • Despite advertising 24 hour phone support I couldn't get through to anyone at two charge points to get them working
This happened both ways despite having replanned based on the knowledge gained coming down. We set off at 0700 and got to destination at 0300 on the way down and destination at 0130 on the return leg. I had to create multiple accounts for various companies in advance who all wanted to hold a minimum amount of money to create the accounts. This wasted much time for me as I phoned round post trip to get my money returned. Now the charging price is so high it is cheaper for us to travel in our truck and that is just what we did on the last trip.

I've embraced electric cars since 2017 and I still love my car for local journeys. However for cross country the infrastructure just isn't there. I checked charging places whilst going down in the truck and they were all full with queues.
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

I don't think I have read anything by this guy before but he does come across as a dick. Ok, he may have a lot of problems with his EV which he should be taking up with the manufacturer but the charging infrastructure on major roads should be driven and paid for by the government stating x number of fast chargers every x miles. If they want a transition to EV's they need to ensure that the charging stations are available and are reliable, however I doubt that will happen.
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

So, problems created by beligerant types like Coren in part then?

(compared to established owners understanding basic politeness let alone EV etiquette)

Wondering what the rules are for working charger infrastructure peak times though? because broken / plain wrong charge rate chargers are not good.
Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Leaf 24
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
Mart

Post by Mart »

Reminds me of a recent 'Youtube influencer' with millions of followers, who posted a vid showing all the charging problems in America with the networks. Charger after charger refused to work for his new EV Hummer, as he filmed it all ...... including the dash which was constantly reporting a service fault with the high voltage system ....... but he kept reporting failure after failure with each charger, till he eventually ran out, and had to have the truck towed.

And just to point out that you couldn't make this up - he also filmed the range on the truck dash, to show how fast it was falling. As he points out, we can see the range falling by 1 mile roughly every minute ...... we can also see that he's driving at 64mph ..... anyone good at maths? :lol:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.