HPC

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Re: HPC

Post by dan_b »

Given HPC is one of the largest civil engineering projects in Europe, one of the most expensive building projects in the UK, and the first new nuclear plant in the UK for what, 30 years, I'm not surprised things like this get media coverage - I'm glad it does. That doesn't mean I don't think the stuff that's happening in off-shore wind shouldn't be getting more coverage too.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/eu ... 19c4&ei=33

Thought I would post this here, rather than a separate thread, as its connected to HPC.

I imagine there's a collective sigh of relief in all the camps that this is now operational and signed off, lets hope HPC isn't as late or as costly.

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Aah that is good news thank you. Only 14 years delayed.
The two Chinese ones have been running for a while (although one had to go offline for a year due to damaged fuel rods).
Flammanville should be going online 1st Quarter 2024 now I think - only 10 years late, so by comparison much quicker than Olkiluoto !
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Quite a balanced report - I like it and it makes a refreshing change.

33bn ouch!

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Interesting article thanks for the link.

Meanwhile they're bickering (again) over the cost of the identical Sizewell C plant

https://www.ft.com/content/2bccd67f-a3c ... f9d54cdf67
nowty

Post by nowty »

dan_b wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm Interesting article thanks for the link.

Meanwhile they're bickering (again) over the cost of the identical Sizewell C plant

https://www.ft.com/content/2bccd67f-a3c ... f9d54cdf67
https://archive.ph/S1BCQ

Its bickering over the cost of HPC with the Chinese defaulting on the over runs, if I am reading the same article.

Another Anglo / Franco debacle in the offing. :?
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

nowty

Post by nowty »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:38 pm Another update -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68073279
Although at first glance its no big deal for HPC as the cost is born my EDF, it may be a big deal if Sizewell C gets the go ahead as the higher costs are to be front loaded onto customers bills. :?

The French firm EDF agreed to shoulder the risk and pay the full cost of construction, including any increases. This was in return for an agreed electricity price that was substantially higher than the average price in 2015 and would only rise in line with inflation.

"It is important to say that British consumers or taxpayers won't pay a penny, with the increased costs met entirely by shareholders," Mr Crooks' letter read.

However, this price shock comes at a sensitive time for the UK government, which has agreed to allow construction costs for a new plant at Sizewell in Suffolk to be added to customers' bills gradually over the decade which it will take to build.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

nowty wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:45 pm
Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:38 pm Another update -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68073279
Although at first glance its no big deal for HPC as the cost is born my EDF, it may be a big deal if Sizewell C gets the go ahead as the higher costs are to be front loaded onto customers bills. :?

The French firm EDF agreed to shoulder the risk and pay the full cost of construction, including any increases. This was in return for an agreed electricity price that was substantially higher than the average price in 2015 and would only rise in line with inflation.

"It is important to say that British consumers or taxpayers won't pay a penny, with the increased costs met entirely by shareholders," Mr Crooks' letter read.

However, this price shock comes at a sensitive time for the UK government, which has agreed to allow construction costs for a new plant at Sizewell in Suffolk to be added to customers' bills gradually over the decade which it will take to build.
I've been pondering that ever since the large increases in the CfD rates for PV and onshore wind last year, and offshore wind attracting no bids at the £44/MWh max limit.

Given that the CfD rates are index linked, and have risen significantly in the last few years, the fact that the bid prices had to increase so much*, reflected the massive inflationary impact of fuel/energy costs on large construction projects .......

...... so ..... if PV and wind have been hit that hard, then presumably nuclear construction costs will also have seen a similar inflationary jump. But, I assume it's worse for nuclear, due to the longer build out time period, where those costs are growing due to interest/financial costs, before an income is received, and the debt can finally begin to be addressed.

*The last off-shore bids were at £37.35/MWh. So the max limit of £44 (down from £46 despite the industry warning the Gov that costs had jumped) was an increase of 18% in itself, aside from the index linking. That's a large increase.

This year's auction has a raised offshore wind max limit of £73/MWh (2012 baseline), but I've no idea what the bids will come in at, other than using the 2023 onshore wind and PV increases of just over 20% as a guide, suggesting offshore wind needs a price north of £45/MWh.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.