HPC

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Moxi

Re: HPC

Post by Moxi »

What caught my eye was the extra steel and concrete required for the UK version of the EPR? Is the rest of the world building sub standard reactor infrastructure or is the UK gilding the lily ? I cannot imagine that we have a worse seismic safety case than China or that the ground is so rotten that larger slabs are required ? if it was the ground then why pick that site when there were other options available? So why all the extra civils and associated cost ? anyone got the inside information on that ?

Moxi
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

7000 substantial design changes to meet UK regulatory requirements - that doesn't sound like "modular design" and "learning from the lessons of previous EPR builds"? Goodness me.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at this point.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

EDF are offering a deal on future EPR's............ pay double get and get one EPR later than you expected! :shock:

Has anything been said about fuel reprocessing ? I am guessing the spent fuel goes back to France to be reprocessed and then the waste is shipped back to us for storage ?

Moxi
Mart

Post by Mart »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:26 am EDF are offering a deal on future EPR's............ pay double get and get one EPR later than you expected! :shock:

Moxi
:hysteria: :praise: :hysteria:
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:26 am EDF are offering a deal on future EPR's............ pay double and get one EPR later than you expected! :shock:

Has anything been said about fuel reprocessing ? I am guessing the spent fuel goes back to France to be reprocessed and then the waste is shipped back to us for storage ?

Moxi
Nooo idea how this happened - can be deleted by mods if necessary - apologies

Moxi
smegal

Post by smegal »

Moxi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:26 am

Moxi
I'm assuming once through and into storage without reprocessing. Same for the rest of the UK fleet since the closure of THORP.
nowty

Post by nowty »

smegal wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:13 pm I'm assuming once through and into storage without reprocessing. Same for the rest of the UK fleet since the closure of THORP.
Back in the day I spent a little of my early career helping install a small part of it. The Hulls Monitor in the basket handling cave where irradiated fuel rods were chopped up and dissolved in acid. Real hardcore shielding, layers of Concrete, Steel, Lead for the Gamma Rays and Carbon / Polythene blocks for neutrons, several meters of it in all.

I still get nightmares over that place. :shock:

Found a little info on it too, :D

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1 ... 058/7/5/25

A major challenge faced by the UK's recently activated Thermal Oxide Reprocessing Plant (Thorp) at Sellafield is to measure the amount of uranium, actinides and fission products that may remain in the fuel shells ("hulls") after reprocessing. To that end a unique monitoring system, the "hulls monitor", has been developed, involving a combination of neutron interrogation, passive neutron counting and high-resolution gamma-ray spectrometry.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

More coverage: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/nil ... GTUK_email
Sorry, France, you’re on the hook at Hinkley Point
As its own finance director warned: EDF understood exactly what it was signing in 2016
No quote, it's worth reading right through.
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:14 am More coverage: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/nil ... GTUK_email
Sorry, France, you’re on the hook at Hinkley Point
As its own finance director warned: EDF understood exactly what it was signing in 2016
No quote, it's worth reading right through.
A
Yes I agree, read it earlier, more worrying that we are ON the hook for Sizewell C.

Moxi
AlBargey

Post by AlBargey »

Nice infographic from twitter, the more we see the more it just doesn't make sense any more :whako:

38m Barge, Solar (10.6 kWp), 26 kWh of LFP, Victron Quattro 8 kVA, CerboGX, 3,500L STP, 57kVa Perkins
Our live data: https://vrm.victronenergy.com/installat ... e/c76c4bf6