SSEN seeks feedback on grid upgrades

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

SSEN seeks feedback on grid upgrades

Post by dan_b »

Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
CrofterMannie

Re: SSEN seeks feedback on grid upgrades

Post by CrofterMannie »

Yeah, it goes through our parish. There was an initial consultation last year and I'm sure it will come up at next week's community council meeting!

We also have the Knocknagael to Tomatin reinforcement which was done a couple of years ago and has resulted in a few issues for some people. We had a really interesting meeting with SSE engineers where they explained some of the issues with noise and how they are trying to sort it.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Noise from the cables, or transformers/switch gear? Or the construction noise?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
renewablejohn

Post by renewablejohn »

CrofterMannie wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:46 pm Yeah, it goes through our parish. There was an initial consultation last year and I'm sure it will come up at next week's community council meeting!

We also have the Knocknagael to Tomatin reinforcement which was done a couple of years ago and has resulted in a few issues for some people. We had a really interesting meeting with SSE engineers where they explained some of the issues with noise and how they are trying to sort it.
Are they upgrading an existing line. I have a 275kv line within 60mtrs of the farmhouse which I am ok with as its squarely in the yellow zone on the red yellow green scale for health living next door to pylons. Not been told officially yet but looking on National Grid interactive map upto 2030 our line is marked as 400kv which puts us truly in the red health zone. Just wondering if any of your locals are affected in a similar manner and if so what sort of compensation package is being discussed.
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

dan_b wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:43 am Noise from the cables, or transformers/switch gear? Or the construction noise?
There are 2 separate cases.
One is the insulators, on one pylon the topography funnels wind in exactly the right direction to cause a loud whistling. It's a known, but rare, issue and should be solved by using a different shape of insulator on that one pylon (but they need to shut the line down to change them and national grid wouldn't allow lines to be shut in winter).
The other issue is a noise that comes from the jumper cables on a different pylon. They have done a bunch of research and think it is ionisation caused by an irregular surface caused by water droplets under certain weather conditions. They are going to change the jumper cables but, again, that requires shutting the line for 1-2 months, only then will we see if they are right.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV
CrofterMannie

Post by CrofterMannie »

renewablejohn wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:56 pm
Are they upgrading an existing line. I have a 275kv line within 60mtrs of the farmhouse which I am ok with as its squarely in the yellow zone on the red yellow green scale for health living next door to pylons. Not been told officially yet but looking on National Grid interactive map upto 2030 our line is marked as 400kv which puts us truly in the red health zone. Just wondering if any of your locals are affected in a similar manner and if so what sort of compensation package is being discussed.
[/quote]

The line they did a couple of years ago was removing an existing 132kv line and replacing it with a 275kv line.

The Beauly to Peterhead line mentioned is a brand new 400kv line.
In our section there are no houses closer than about 60m and I've never heard of compensation being offered.
8kw solar
ETA log boiler
5ha woodland
MG5EV