Energy-intensive farming!

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
AE-NMidlands

Energy-intensive farming!

Post by AE-NMidlands »

shows a cow being airlifted off the alp by helicopter!
We have seen timber being extracted by helicopter there, which made me wonder about its carbon footprint. I have read that a lot of our forestry depends on fertiliser being broadcast by helicopter. Not good news!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
spread-tee

Re: Energy-intensive farming!

Post by spread-tee »

Asw I understand it farmed ruminants in general are pretty bad news for the environment. To be sustainable we need to radically alter farming practices and our diet.

Spread
Blah blah blah
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

I wouldn’t accept farming ruminants is bad per se, it’s the intensive practices that are adopted to support fast food or cheap food.

Low intensity grazing has made the landscape/environment that we now strive to recreate - wild flower filled meadows for grazing or hay, small, hedged fields supporting wildlife etc.

It’s the greed of business, again, that has changed our relationship with ruminants - never grazed but fed high protein, probably GM, feed in ‘lots’, use of growth hormone, over use of antibiotics, selective breeding for early maturation/milk production.

I’m sure a return to lower intensity, responsible farming would be sustainable - the cost of beef would rise significantly if this was to be profitable, though.

I can accept that, if it meant I had a good quality steak once every three months and reduced my dairy intake.
spread-tee

Post by spread-tee »

I'd accept that at some level of production red meat is sustainable, but it is a horribly inefficient way of creating protien both from a land use and carbon point of view. Like you I could get by with red meat on a now and again basis, but to give up completely would be hard.

Deps
Blah blah blah
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Your argument doesn't show the whole picture, this was an injured cow, the rest walking off by themselves.
Helicopters buzz up & down alpine valley's all day long winter & summer, likely this was a return run & good practise (keeping sharp) maybe a return run from taking winter prep gear up, or maintenance kit, anything.

You could question therefore in another thread why they don't walk the solar panel installs up to the lake themselves, as the added carbon footprint doesn't help any (etc).

We also rarely question why a hill walker is airlifted off a mountain (again injury, or sometimes human idiocy) & that one will be called out for the purpose, a farmer may simply telephone in & say I need help can I have 5 minutes of airtime, none of that is clear.

It's not like whole herds are flown too & fro & disingenuous to suggest by the title & still frame to imply that may be the case.

Rather than misleadingly title the thread do some groundwork if this heli-lift rankles you so much & tell us just how intensive a cow in summer grazing (usually walked up & down) & likely overwintered in a traditional small herd alpine byre is compared to our own modern industrialised farming with its energy intense concrete yard scraping, & slurry tanks, daily milk tanker pick up type operation.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

Mr Gus wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:06 amRather than misleadingly title the thread do some groundwork if this heli-lift rankles you so much & tell us just how intensive a cow in summer grazing (usually walked up & down) & likely overwintered in a traditional small herd alpine byre is compared to our own modern industrialised farming with its energy intense concrete yard scraping, & slurry tanks, daily milk tanker pick up type operation.
That's something that gets missed a lot. Beef farming carbon footprint calculations are heavily influenced by US Feedlot operations - intensively farmed cattle fed on imported soybeans or irrigated maize. Grass fed is rather lower, but there is a limit to how much is feasible per capita since it needs a lot of grass.
Stan

Post by Stan »

If I’m not mistaken it’s a Brown Swiss. It certainly was when it landed.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Paul_F wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:02 pm
Mr Gus wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:06 amRather than misleadingly title the thread do some groundwork if this heli-lift rankles you so much & tell us just how intensive a cow in summer grazing (usually walked up & down) & likely overwintered in a traditional small herd alpine byre is compared to our own modern industrialised farming with its energy intense concrete yard scraping, & slurry tanks, daily milk tanker pick up type operation.
That's something that gets missed a lot. Beef farming carbon footprint calculations are heavily influenced by US Feedlot operations - intensively farmed cattle fed on imported soybeans or irrigated maize. Grass fed is rather lower, but there is a limit to how much is feasible per capita since it needs a lot of grass.
I’ve read that pastured beef is carbon negative…

It is hard to find accurate information because you have very well-funded groups aggressively pushing missinformation in both directions.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Paul_F

Post by Paul_F »

Stinsy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:55 pmI’ve read that pastured beef is carbon negative…

It is hard to find accurate information because you have very well-funded groups aggressively pushing missinformation in both directions.
It's definitely possible - see for instance http://brownsranch.us (he's got a load of good videos on youtube) - inputs are seeds and a little bit of diesel, and the soil carbon is clearly going up a lot so I think it's hard to argue he isn't carbon-negative. There are limits to how far you can scale up though.
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

C’mon guys.

Destroying the Amazon rain forest to produce beef for burgers, producing hormone enhanced beef in feed lots, feeding GM soy to said cattle that are antibiotic supported all in the pursuit of fast food :roll:

Beef production internationally is an industrial process.

It is not sustainable.

Beef can be produced sustainably and responsibly - it will require a massive change in behaviour. As will anything we need to do to achieve any semblance of responsible resource use.