BEV Heavy Plant - Recharging Issues

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mart

BEV Heavy Plant - Recharging Issues

Post by Mart »

Some time back we were chatting about heavy plant, and hydrogen fuel cells, and also the (insane in my opinion) JCB HICE plans - that's ICE engines runninmg on H2, so about half the efficiency of HFCV's, which in turn are about 3x less efficient than BEV's.

One of the arguments against BEV's, is that there may not be power on site for recharging. Whereas H2 can be tankered in. I countered that leccy (via big batts) can also be tankered in, and the batts will almost certainly be able to charge nearer, than the nearest source of H2. Also, there may be on-site power that can at least 'trickle' charge the big batts, and help.

In fairness, I think a max sized (44tn) artic with a H2 tube trailer, containing about 500kg of H2, will have about 2x the energy on board as a big batt.

So, I just saw this article on a similar idea for trailer based batts and chargers in the US to run fleets of school buses, and a while back an article about Volvo Construction, and the 'portable' batts they've developed for on-site charging of BEV heavy plant.

Obviously, we are not 'there' yet, but it seems like options are developing nicely, alongside the development of BEV heavy plant.

Pioneer Announces e-Boost Order of $7.1 Million from One of the Largest U.S. School Districts

Volvo CE and partners announce new mobile charging solutions for electric equipment
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.