Article about potentially too much green energy in Spain

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mart

Re: Article about potentially too much green energy in Spain

Post by Mart »

Couldn't quite decide if the article was slightly tongue-in-cheek, seeming to hint that the excess RE was actually a good thing.

Looking at California (as they have similar PV capacity factors ~20%), they've now managed to roll out enough battery storage power (and energy I think) to cover the daytime solar excess, and shift it to the evening and following morning peaks. So as BESS (battery energy storage system) costs continue to fall (almost tumble), then Spain looks to be on for a winner.

Perhaps the big solar wins for Spain (and Cali) is the far better consistency. Where we get about 4x as much gen in June from a south facing system as Dec, they get about 1.5x, so far smoother. And simple single axis tracking is economically viable too.

Things look very good for Spain going forward.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Interesting aritcle for sure - the bits at the end about how they can increase the amount of electrification- but also of phasing out nuclear so that the grid can respond more quickly to the changes in supply/demand... I guess with France across the border being hugely nuclear they don't have many other countries to export to? I imagine Portugal has a similar renewable generation profile to Spain?
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
resybaby

Post by resybaby »

Enjoyed the read of that article as well, have often wondered why (in the Canaries at least where i visit most years) i see a lot of solar thermal for HW generation dotted about, but have to say ive not noticed much in the way of PV. More deffo good though, but, personally, i dont see as much around as the article would indicate.

Another observation i have for RE turbines over there is that they seem to use multiples of smaller units, rather than the rush towards bigger and taller turbines that we seem to see in the UK. No idea why, but can see a few advatages and disadvantages both ways.

Going the right way though it seems.
4.0kw FIT PV solar Sunnyboy 4000tl & 21 Upsolar 190w panels
5.45kw JA Solar panels & Sunsynk ECCO 3.6kw.
7 x US5000 Pylontechs.
4500l RWH
Full Biomass heating system
iBoost HW divertor
Full house internal walls insulation
600min Loft insulation
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I often think of the Steisdal hotrocks thermal stores yet on a massive scale to generate power through the night. Better surely than curtailment. Hot rocks into steam turbine into Air con and hot water.
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:22 pm I often think of the Steisdal hotrocks thermal stores yet on a massive scale to generate power through the night. Better surely than curtailment. Hot rocks into steam turbine into Air con and hot water.
I would think quite a few of the Canary Islands could use hot rock as a primary energy source! No need to worry about storage, just ramp it up when wind or sun dwindle.
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

This wee piece says 20% global.power supplied by PV on Solstice.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/06/ ... oars-to-20

Much more detail here.

https://ember-climate.org/
19.2kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2