Off shore wind announcements

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Mart

Off shore wind announcements

Post by Mart »

I saw this article yesterday, and similar news, and it got me (over) thinking:

Offshore wind to power 20m homes within five years, Starmer to pledge
Keir Starmer will promise to build enough offshore wind over the next five years to power 20m homes, by using taxpayer money to develop parts of the seabed owned by the crown estate.

The prime minister will announce details of the government’s energy generation company, known as Great British Energy, during a visit to the north-west designed to highlight the government’s promises on green energy.

The energy company will be given £8.3bn of public money over the course of the parliament to invest in green technologies, with a target to develop an extra 20-30GW of offshore wind power through a tie-up with the crown estate.
Even without Thursday’s announcement, the crown estate already had a target to build between 20 and 30GW of additional offshore wind power by 2030 – more than double what the UK has already installed.

So............. been pondering this overnight, and firstly have to state that this is all conjecture, but ....

The timeline is pretty short, especially given the long build out time for off shore wind, so does this mean that the Gov know's something we don't? That led me to ponder the CfD round 6 (R6) auction that is coming to a close September(ish). The bids are already in, and have been considered for viability, and appeals are being reviewed. So results should be out soon. But the Gov will, I assume, have access to the info. So could this mean that the news is quite positive?

For background, the R4 auction brought in results at £37/MWh. But for R5 the max bid was dropped from £46 to £44, despite warnings from the industry, and to be fair 'everybody', that the inflationary impacts on the industry from the Ukraine war and gas price spike were huge. So no bids were submitted. [Note, PV and on shore wind bids jumped about 25% v's R4. Also the auctions use a 2012 baseline price for comparison, that takes 'normal' inflation into account via index-linking.]

For R6 the Gov then put the max allowable bid up from £44 to £73. But the auctions work on a pot of money, so as the approved winning price gets higher then the amount of approved capacity gets smaller - the pot of money doesn't stretch as far.

So ...... could we be about to see a CfD price that's not too bad, that's to say, not near the £73 limit? Thus allowing the Gov to be a bit more bullish with their short term* predictions for off shore wind?

*2030 would seem to be short term for off shore wind, the R6 auction has two pots for delivery in 2027/28 and 2028/29. This suggests to me that only R7 and R8 could possibly also deliver some generation by/in 2030.

I'm not sure I've explained any of this properly, but hope it makes some sense, as I try to ponder the positivity of the Gov's statements, v's the relatively short timelines - and hope for a pleasant surprise in a few months time.
8.7kWp PV [2.12kWp SSW + 4.61kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV]
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Ken

Re: Off shore wind announcements

Post by Ken »

Mart,
Totally agree. The Russia inflation spike was just that, a spike.

However i often see quoted large amounts of RE in the pipeline, i think many more times the 2030 target ? UK’s pipeline of offshore wind projects at all stages of development now stands at 99.8GW across 130 projects – an increase of 14GW over the past 12 months. This includes 13.7GW of fully operational capacity and a further 13.6GW under construction or with support secured for a route to market:

I note that there will probably be a huge repowering of onshore wind potentially doubling capacity and in many cases all that is needed is planning permission which i think the Lab gov will push through damn quick.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

How far offshore does the Crown Estate actually extend from the coast? Just wondering - as the really big offshore farms in planning or already in construction are a long way out to sea - Hornsea is about 75 miles offshore!

If they're going to add an additional 20GW of capacity to what's already in the pipeline, there's gonna need to be an associated increase in grid reinforcement too - and battery storage - is that under GB Energy's remit as well?

What I'm glad of is that It's only been 3 weeks and this new Government seems to actually be intending to get stuff done.
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ken wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:10 am Mart,
Totally agree. The Russia inflation spike was just that, a spike.

However i often see quoted large amounts of RE in the pipeline, i think many more times the 2030 target ? UK’s pipeline of offshore wind projects at all stages of development now stands at 99.8GW across 130 projects – an increase of 14GW over the past 12 months. This includes 13.7GW of fully operational capacity and a further 13.6GW under construction or with support secured for a route to market:

I note that there will probably be a huge repowering of onshore wind potentially doubling capacity and in many cases all that is needed is planning permission which i think the Lab gov will push through damn quick.
Hi Ken. Glad it made some sense. I fully appreciate that the impact on inflation in general, whilst huge, wasn't as big as the industry specific impacts on RE, especially off shore wind, with steel, transport, fuel etc etc all hit hard. So fingers crossed it is a spike as far as 'above inflation' goes.

Again, in case that doesn't make sense, a bid today of £37 will be a much higher real price than it was in 2022/23, since index linking will reflect the huge inflationary rises seen in the last couple of years. If the industry specific spike has eased off a bit (and I've no idea if it has, just speculating), then maybe the R6 bids will be closer to £37 or £44/£46 than £73. If so then the pot of money will stretch further and allow for more capacity. This auction also has the largest off shore pot of money (v's previous auctions) in order to try to make up for the lost potential in R5.

Just thoughts in general, if someone knows, but I think an off shore wind farm takes about 10yrs in total from planning to commissioning. So the bids that go into these auctions are from the pipeline of projects that have already advanced significantly through the planning and approval stages, and [here's the big question] already have connections approved for the same timeline, if and when they receive approval/contracts? Is that correct?

Lastly for those more sensible than I, who don't bother with the trolls, much has been made of the advice/comments coming from Watt-Logic, the last few years. This blog is touted as just pointing out the facts, where it keeps showing, claiming, arguing that wind generation costs have now stopped falling and are rising across Europe.

What tends to be missed, is that the lady behind Watt-Logic is actually an adviser for the gas generation industry. Also, whilst costs have risen, these aren't, I'd argue, because the technology is no longer progressing and improving, but due to inflationary impacts, that also hit other similar major construction projects just as hard - projects like gas extraction, gas power stations, and more significantly gas fuel costs.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

dan_b wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:06 am How far offshore does the Crown Estate actually extend from the coast? Just wondering - as the really big offshore farms in planning or already in construction are a long way out to sea - Hornsea is about 75 miles offshore!

If they're going to add an additional 20GW of capacity to what's already in the pipeline, there's gonna need to be an associated increase in grid reinforcement too - and battery storage - is that under GB Energy's remit as well?

What I'm glad of is that It's only been 3 weeks and this new Government seems to actually be intending to get stuff done.
12 nautical miles according to various internet sources

Moxi
nowty

Post by nowty »

Moxi wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:54 am
dan_b wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:06 am How far offshore does the Crown Estate actually extend from the coast? Just wondering - as the really big offshore farms in planning or already in construction are a long way out to sea - Hornsea is about 75 miles offshore!

12 nautical miles according to various internet sources

Moxi
But the cables have to come ashore through the 12 nautical mile limit.
https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-bu ... -pipelines
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Mart

Post by Mart »

So, last Friday I started to wonder if the new Gov knew something we didn't with their big promises, and now they've decided to increase the subsidy pot sizes for the current CfD auction. Results due Sept(ish) I believe.

Good news, but now I'm even more 'suspicious', are they simply throwing more money at it, to increase the amount of contracts awarded (I think I read that ~10GWp of off-shore wind schemes might be in a position to bid in this round). And/or could they have access to the bids* and have seen an opportunity to get more, because the prices are good, or want to avoid a bad start to the new Gov, as prices/bids are high?

Whatever the full story is, this is still good news.

*I've no idea how secretive the auction is at this stage, once bids have been received, applications are being reviewed (to check viability) and appeals have been submitted.

Labour tries to attract clean energy contracts with record £1.5bn for auction
The Labour government will make record amounts of funding available to clean energy developers after it increased the value of its summer subsidy auction by 50%, to £1.5bn.

The addition, compared with figures previously announced, means the total budget is seven times the amount available at last year’s auction, the government said.
Offshore wind projects will compete for up to £1.1bn of funding this summer, up from the £800m set by the previous government. This could bring forward investment in 6-7 gigawatts of offshore wind capacity, according to analysts at Jefferies, or enough to power almost 5m homes.

Onshore wind and solar projects will compete for a share of £185m, a rise of £65m from previously announced figures. Ministers will also more than double the funding available to nascent clean energy technologies, such as floating offshore wind and tidal power projects, to a total of £270m.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
20kWh Battery storage.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Excuse my ignorance but what "funding" i thought they were just submitting prices under a CfD contract. Private money pays for the construction and the gov is only likely to fund in the future if the bid prices are below CfD contract price.?
nowty

Post by nowty »

Ken wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 12:23 pm Excuse my ignorance but what "funding" i thought they were just submitting prices under a CfD contract. Private money pays for the construction and the gov is only likely to fund in the future if the bid prices are below CfD contract price.?
The LCCO is the government company that pays out the subsidies and collects the surpluses and I believe its funded from levies on our leccy bills.
https://www.lowcarboncontracts.uk/

The latest accounts show it has liabilities of circa £20 billion.

The liabilities will be mostly dependant on forecast wholesale leccy prices and inflation.
16.9kW PV > 107MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 22MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 510 m3
Ken

Post by Ken »

Surely this is the gov pretending to do something ie funding when in fact it is nothing of the kind.

Most of the overun in the LCCO accounts will be from early high CfD contracts and perhaps ROCS which were the real moneyspinner.