Cider

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
Bugtownboy

Cider

Post by Bugtownboy »

OK, may be a degree of greenwash, but fair do’s if they’re actually producing a product using RE

https://www.burnhamandhighbridgeweeklyn ... rgy-cider/

Having said that, sounds a bit tame compared to some of the stuff you can still get around here.

If it’s not taking the enamel of your teeth :shock:

Also, if that’s your thing, there are still some quite high alcohol content (circa 10%) farmhouse ciders around.

On balance, there are some belting (circa 5%) traditional ciders using traditional local cider apples still available.
Moxi

Re: Cider

Post by Moxi »

I like Thatchers cider so I will be giving that a go.

As a younger man I would take on the higher content ciders but these days I hardly drink anything alcoholic and when I do I really enjoy the fruity ciders like old mout etc

Moxi
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

SWMBO & I particularly liked Rattler on draught last time we were in Devon. Only a couple of pints though before zigzagging (felt like) back to the Bongo onsite. :praise: :twisted:

I'll have a crack at this when I see it. 👏
19.7kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 19MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

This is probably one of the few farmhouse cider producers near to us, albeit about 10 miles away.

https://parsonschoicecider.co.uk/parsons-choice-cider/

Always been a family, low volume producer. Some of the tastes can be a bit challenging, but they are so distinctive.

For me, anything that contains Kingston Black is :xl:

There’s still a few local higher volume independent cider producers.

One, just a couple of miles from us, is Perry’s (ironic name for a cider producer). Have their own orchards, and use traditional methods.

https://www.perryscider.co.uk/

If you’re around Somerset, worth finding and trying some of the small volume cider makers - while they still exist.
Mojomal

Post by Mojomal »

In our village we have a cider syndicate... between the seven of us last autumn we pressed enough apple's to produce 155 gallons. We normally add enough sugar to produce 8% alcohol in the final product. We use my wife's garden shredder to shred the apple's, and obviously our solar panels supply the juice to the shredder. I'm having a glass of cider as I type :D

20 x 58 tube Solar Thermal Myenergi Eddie 200 l cylinder
3.9 kW solar PV SMA
3.1 kW solar PV Solar edge
Tesla Powerwall 2
1500W Craig Fatha
640W Kirk Hill
EV 83.9 kWh and Zappi
Clearview woodburner and chainsaw
Keeper of bees for 48 years
richbee

Post by richbee »

Mojomal wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 10:21 pm In our village we have a cider syndicate... between the seven of us last autumn we pressed enough apple's to produce 155 gallons. We normally add enough sugar to produce 8% alcohol in the final product. We use my wife's garden shredder to shred the apple's, and obviously our solar panels supply the juice to the shredder. I'm having a glass of cider as I type :D

Sounds great! 155 gallons - that should keep you going for a while - depending how big the village is
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Ripple WB 200W
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Bugtownboy wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:43 pm This is probably one of the few farmhouse cider producers near to us, albeit about 10 miles away.

https://parsonschoicecider.co.uk/parsons-choice-cider/

Always been a family, low volume producer. Some of the tastes can be a bit challenging, but they are so distinctive.
hmmm! The website says
fruit has not traveled excessively and is fresh when we press
BUT I always understood that (like cooking ands eating apples) cider apples could be chosen to ripen in succession, so the maker could keep their mill and press going right through until Christmas. A quick search produced an example https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/tre ... rtons-late
Using

Picking season Very late
Cropping Good
Keeping (of fruit) 1-2 months
Food uses Hard cider
"Hard" cider being what the yanks call cider I believe, to distinguish it from apple juice!
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Adokforme

Post by Adokforme »

Thanks guy, really enjoyed learning of your experiences and cider making. I was particularly taken by @Mojomal's mention of a garden shredder in relation to it. I've been thinking of getting something along those lines for shredding all our composting in the garden, as until now I've been chopping and tearing it all by hand which gets increasingly tedious and time consuming. Thanks for mentioning it.
My own experience of cider drinking culminated at the age of sixteen when away at Scout camp for the weekend and got absolutely plastered on it. Think I was sixteen, it affected me so badly that I couldn't bare the thought of having a sip for the next twenty or so years. It wasn't until we went for a weeks holiday in the Seven valley taking in all the sites and canoing on the river before the temptation of being in cider country finally overcame the fear of that past experience and learned I could enjoy a glass or two once more.
I've been making homemade wine for half a century now for which I have to thank Joe Gormley when causing the three day week, back in '74 I believe, so with spare time on hand I took to making a gallon of barley wine, it was winter so not much fruit around. Being retired now I can indulge myself in it's delights and have a couple of gallons of Blackberry on the go with three gallons of Elderflower safely fernented and under lock ready for fining.
Guess I've survived to tell the tale so the methods and recipes followed couldn't have been too far out. I still get a thrill when fermentation begins seeing all the bubbles rising up through the liquor escaping into the atmoshere as CO2.
Ooops, have I been adding the growing abundance of it on the planet. :fight:
But hey, at least making it at home saves some of the air or sea miles generated from the purchase otherwise of wines from far off continents. :)