HVDC Interconnectors

Any news worthy story. Good things to watch at the Cinema, Theatre, on TV or have you read a good book lately?
dan_b

Re: HVDC Interconnectors

Post by dan_b »

A good article!

I used 12ft ladder to remove the paywall it’s worth a reas
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oversees an 11kWp solar array at work
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

I access these articles on my phone. No paywall. Only just realised the paywall issue on PC. :oops:
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Joeboy wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:57 am Long distance!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... wer-cable/
Behind a paywall, but it doesn't look very clever to me... Iceland might have a big surplus of renewable energy (and is a lot closer,) but the USA?
I found "Renewables, including large hydropower, represented about 25% of electricity generated in the United States in the first half of 2023."
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mart

Post by Mart »

Hi Dan, bit surprised today to see lots of articles pointing to the 'launch' of Viking Link, including one from National Grid themselves. Eventually found an article that said NG 'officially inaugerates' Viking Link. Does this mean anything other than just a formal date for the books?

National Grid launches Viking Link, the next step towards a North Sea super-grid
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Semantics really; it marks the end of the testing and commissioning phase and the "official" completion of the project, even though it's been working just fine for a while.

Although only at half capacity for the time being due to grid constraints on the other side of the link!
Mart

Post by Mart »

dan_b wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 pm Semantics really; it marks the end of the testing and commissioning phase and the "official" completion of the project, even though it's been working just fine for a while.

Although only at half capacity for the time being due to grid constraints on the other side of the link!
Thanks Dan, I assumed it was something like the end of commissioning, but found it strange not to see it said clearly anywhere.

But no complaints from me, it's all good news, and incredible to see how much our imports have been rising the last few years, largely due to cheaper leccy, and lower carbon generation in mainland Europe. Plus the issues with French nuclear a few years ago, skewing the results. Hoping to see ever more export of off-shore wind as the industry expands further.
3.58kWp ESE PV + 2.0kWp WNW PV.
Two BEV's.
Two small A2A heatpumps.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
dan_b

Post by dan_b »

Very!
Useful to be reminded of the impact of Brexit and our subsequent withdrawal from being tightly integrated into the EU energy market.
But the stuff about how this link effectively acts as an interlink into Germany was very interesting!
Joeboy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:26 am Of interest?
https://montelgroup.com/updates-and-ins ... nd-profits