Compost starting

Share your growing tips
Djs63

Compost starting

Post by Djs63 »

We have several large bins, each more than a metre square, but we struggle to get them started. Partly because they are mostly dry grass plus some vegetable peelings and partly because they are too dry.
But is it reasonable to inoculate a heap with either material from a good heap or even with commercially available compost (not peat)?

We have a green bin from the council which works really well and is populated with tiger worms from I know not where! It always seems very soggy but it is great stuff. Should we transfer some material with worms to new heaps and keep them very wet?
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, 1.8 kWh max PV and solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage
Joeboy

Re: Compost starting

Post by Joeboy »

Moisture is critical as is layering if you can. Treat them like a souffle and you'll get there. Really though, just keep em damp.

Nothing wrong with mixing ftom one to t'other but again has to be moist. We get about 150 to 200 kgs fully processed compost pa. Entirely frungible and low odour. Smashing stuff, a large part is the whole years grass clippings along with fallen leaves. The kitchen scraps bring moisture and variety as does the occasional flick of a water hose.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

If you fancy an early morning stroll in the garden, urine is a good activator and will add Nitrogen in the form of Urea.

Plus it adds moisture.

A strategically placed watering can may assist the process.
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

my 1970s organic gardening bible says don't waste money on bacteria concentrates sold as compost activator, as there will be more than enough in the soil on weed/plant roots. Nitrogen is what is needed and pee is perfect! Moisture is essential and a balance of green (nitrogen) and carbon (woody stuff or paper.)
In our experience it never goes as fast as advertised, although at this time of year the heap sinks faster than we fill it!
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

Whilst not composting " proper " as a reluctant binner of clippings & reluctant mower (longer grass is better for roots) I've bit the bullet & invested in a flymo easilife 500 robo mower (name pending) in part laziness, in part to try to solve clippings by making them small enough to re-absorb & reduce further our waste that is taken away ( garden waste is put out every 6 weeks of less here as is, though the council collects fortnightly we try to make it easier & less carbon intense (big old diesel consumption on those bin lorries every outing)

The wormery has had to take up the slack of summer melon rinds, & hulled strawberries I'm pestling egg shells, have yet to try the worms with a compostable bag that the council doesn't want (even though it is well on its way to decomposition by the time the bin is picked up)

Will have to tidy up the frontage & place perimeter wire down for it this autumn, shame the flymo boffins who well a pricey plastic housing for these things don't simply do one that is solar for ease of charging.

( These robo mower run off 18650 battery packs, the flymo's are tech from husqvarna who these days are owned by flymo it seems, ..yet the husqvarna's can be a different league in price for essentially the same thing, ..with clay & peat round here + uncertain future temperatures I am thinking I need to pay more attention to the ground beneath our feet to reduce moisture losses, I've looked at a neighbours bowling green short lawn for years & wondered how that degree of ground stripping will affect foundations & soil composition in times of increasing stress, been not to mention the use of "round up"

If you are composting & want to semi automate it, then how about connecting up a micro misting ring to penetrate the heap? microbore pipe, small pump & water timer? (Lift it off the top when turning the heap) ..water from a butt of course.

Hmm, might have to get a bumper sticker made for the mower & maybe, just maybe pimp it out with some car type wrap, ...starts looking on Ali express for small tesla 3D logo & wind up suckers that it's the next big tesla project 🤔

DJS, Will your family cave in to demands to keep a wee jug handy by the loo, or is that a step to far?
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Djs63, are your compost bins covered - lid or old carpet/tarp etc ? Retaining moisture, and heat, is important to the process.
Djs63

Post by Djs63 »

Hi the bins aren’t covered but we have some old tarpaulins which are leaky and will let the rain through. There are just me and the missus and peeing in a jug will be down to me but could I shortcut that process by adding some nitrogen in solution? We have lots of rainwater stored, might be tempting providence saying that today, and could soak the heaps . I was thinking that a layer of ready made compost on top would allow friendly bacteria to soak into the heap? The heaps will be a challenge for worms but we will soak the heaps, add compost and worms and hope for better results. And will try to ensure that they are moist!

We have several acres to cut (more than 3) and have just bought a big mulching mower but having been in the other hemisphere for 9 weeks the grass is very long, too long to mulch, but henceforth. We are on heavy clay so the idea of soil improvement with organic matter is probably a very good idea. But putting it into practice is tricky.

We have 15 apple and pear trees plus fruit bushes and they would all benefit from compost mulch. But we have rabbits, hares and deer which is nice but they have big appetites. The deer, fortunately, prefer grape vines to other plants which sounds exotic but we have never managed a single edible grape after 15 years.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Proven 6 kWh max turbine, 1.8 kWh max PV and solar hot water (15 evacuated tubes). Kia eNiro and MG Z5 EV, triple glazing, ground source heat pump and wood stove plus 3000 trees, battery electric chain saw etc, 6000 litres of rainwater storage