Starting Growing - Tomatoes etc

Share your growing tips
Windbag

Re: Starting Growing - Tomatoes etc

Post by Windbag »

renewablejohn wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:19 pm Does anyone else use the sideshoots as there main tomato plants as it saves growing lots of seeds and I find you get far stronger plants.
Eh?
We make 10kw solar 13kw wind, some bread and lots of beer.
We grow & cook loads.
We eat Fibre, Fat & no Fecking barcodes.
We swear at the heat pump (not strictly true)
AE-NMidlands

Post by AE-NMidlands »

Windbag wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:27 pm
renewablejohn wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:19 pm Does anyone else use the sideshoots as there main tomato plants as it saves growing lots of seeds and I find you get far stronger plants.
Eh?
I have. When you have a plant that you want to be a single upright stem you pinch out the side-shoots. These do make very good easy-to-grow cuttings, although of course they can only come on a bit later than the parent plant which you grew first.
Very good (free plants) for rescuing/impressing friends whose attempts at growing plants have failed...
A
2.0 kW/4.62 MWhr pa in Ripples, 4.5 kWp W-facing pv, 9.5 kWhr batt
30 solar thermal tubes, 2MWhr pa in Stockport, plus Congleton and Kinlochbervie Hydros,
Most travel by bike, walking or bus/train. Veg, fruit - and Bees!
Andy

Post by Andy »

Windbag wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:07 am About a 18". If you want some seeds I have loads. Pm me your address. Happy to share.
Very kind. I have found three seeds at the bottom of the box so I will see how they do. I started them too early the first time. Well we had an unusually late winter in scotland which wrecked everything
Windbag

Post by Windbag »

AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:40 pm
Eh?
I have. When you have a plant that you want to be a single upright stem you pinch out the side-shoots. These do make very good easy-to-grow cuttings, although of course they can only come on a bit later than the parent plant which you grew first.
Very good (free plants) for rescuing/impressing friends whose attempts at growing plants have failed...
A
Never thought of that. Cheers.

Tbh. I normally over propagate and end up trying to give them away.
We grow & cook loads.
Windbag

Post by Windbag »

Andy wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:24 pm
Windbag wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:07 am About a 18". If you want some seeds I have loads. Pm me your address. Happy to share.
Very kind. I have found three seeds at the bottom of the box so I will see how they do. I started them too early the first time. Well we had an unusually late winter in scotland which wrecked everything
No problems. I started my latah toms too soon. Had to redo.
We grow & cook loads.
richbee

Post by richbee »

Windbag wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:57 pm
AE-NMidlands wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:40 pm
Eh?
A
Never thought of that. Cheers.

Tbh. I normally over propagate and end up trying to give them away.
Me too - I 'only' have 41 tomato seedlings this year - no, 38 now, gave my dad a few of the sungold spares!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW