Battery Lawnmower

Share your growing tips
Joeboy

Battery Lawnmower

Post by Joeboy »

Bit of a result, the recoil starter on my 5 yr old Hyundai Petrol mower failed. Can't easily find a new one so its one more FF sourced appliance removed from our lives.

This unit below integrates with our current battery system.

https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-exp ... wer/p35027

TBH, I didn't look that hard for spares...
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Stinsy

Re: Battery Lawnmower

Post by Stinsy »

Someone asked me a while back which battery mower to get. And I told them to get whichever one matched the battery of their power drill!

Once you've invested in the batteries/charger for an 18V Combi-drill and impact driver you can get really good quality compatible tools for cheap.

That mower takes 2x 18V batteries so it'll have loads of power!

I'm in the Makita ecosystem, but I don't have a battery mower, I have a manually propelled cylinder mower.
12x 340W JA Solar panels (4.08kWp)
3x 380W JA Solar panels (1.14kWp)
5x 2.4kWh Pylontech batteries (12kWh)
LuxPower inverter/charger

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:06 am Someone asked me a while back which battery mower to get. And I told them to get whichever one matched the battery of their power drill!

Once you've invested in the batteries/charger for an 18V Combi-drill and impact driver you can get really good quality compatible tools for cheap.
Found this price
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-X-Chan ... to_dp&th=1

Comes with another two 4.0Ah batteries too.

Found the bare unit (sans batteries) for £265. I reckon £35 price difference for two 4Ah batteries and spare chargers is too good a deal to pass by so the Demon Amazon gets my money (again). Mixed reviews on Amazon yet this is our 6th Einhell battery op'd tool and so far they have been excellent.

Another 2 gallons of petrol not used at our place pa. :D
Last edited by Joeboy on Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

We bought a battery mower and strimmer combo at the beginning of the year, JB. Best thing we’ve bought for the garden.

Light, cuts well and Mrs BtB can use it ;)

Came with a battery (40v, 6ah) for both - unfortunately it’s a new battery system for me, but the offer was too good to miss.
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

Joeboy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:08 am

Found this price

Found the bare unit (sans batteries) for £265. I reckon £35 price difference for two 4Ah batteries and spare chargers is too good a deal to pass by so the Demon Amazon gets my money (again). Mixed reviews on Amazon yet this is our 6th Einhell battery op'd tool and so far they have been excellent.

The batteries are worth £50 each!

(Artist formally known as ******, well it should be obvious enough to those for whom such things are important.)
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stinsy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:35 am
Joeboy wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:08 am

Found this price

The batteries are worth £50 each!
This purchase nicely closes out the gardening tool loop. For all day to day we are purely battery driven. I look forward to enjoying a quiet lightweight pollution free experience. 8-)
The extra batteries to the collection are a bonus for sure!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stan

Post by Stan »

I don’t understand why they’ve gone to 18V batteries. Bosch have been selling an equivalent diameter battery mower for years now but it has one 36V battery. The latest version still has one 36V battery. I’m very familiar with that battery which is in my Bosch chainsaw and has done sterling service for years.
It’s hard work mowing a lawn and I would have thought that an 18V battery would struggle.
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Stan wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:04 am I don’t understand why they’ve gone to 18V batteries. Bosch have been selling an equivalent diameter battery mower for years now but it has one 36V battery. The latest version still has one 36V battery. I’m very familiar with that battery which is in my Bosch chainsaw and has done sterling service for years.
It’s hard work mowing a lawn and I would have thought that an 18V battery would struggle.
Thr mower runs on 2 of 18v batteries so it is a 36v in 2 parts. 4Ah storage. Will come back with performance once here and tested.
The larger electric chainsaw I use is same, battery twinpack and is ridiculous the way it goes through logs. Almost lightsaber speed!
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Stinsy

Post by Stinsy »

I’ve seen YouTube videos where battery chainsaws outperform the biggest 2-stroke beasts! There are just some applications where the torque of an electric motor cannot be beaten!

The 2x 18V innovation is game-changing too. Way better than having separate batteries for your 18V and 36V tools!

cojmh

Post by cojmh »

This is the exact same mower that I have and I love it .... have been using it for a couple of years now!

Likewise I have invested in the Einhell eco system and now have tons of their gear (including the scarifier too!). The only thing I still have that is petrol driven is the rotovator and I know you can get battery powered ones but I don't think they would last long and when I want to use the rotovator I just want to get it done.

Thoroughly recommend their (Einhell) stuff, I have only been disappointed with a couple of smaller things (their radio and torches etc.)