Battery Lawnmower

Share your growing tips
cojmh

Re: Battery Lawnmower

Post by cojmh »

richbee wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:30 am Have you tried their brushcutter? I'm wondering about getting one, need it to cut back the meadow each year and my current cheapy petrol one just isn't working properly anymore. I only have Worx battery powered drills, and they don't seem to do a brushcutter, only a 'normal' strimmer, which I'm guessing will not be up to the job - so I might need to invest in a 2nd ecosystem. Don't want to spend a fortune, but I saw a review which suggested the Einhell stuff was good.
I don't have the brush cutter but I probably in total have 20 - 30 of their eco system tools and I have only had one problem so far - that was the radio which really should not have been an issue - I used it while renovating a house and it was only ever used inside. It got taken back for a refund.

Everything else has worked as well as expected if not better than I thought it would.

Hopefully that helps - not a review on your exact item but just my thoughts on the overall brand
Petertc

Post by Petertc »

I have got some of their stuff. Impact driver, small chainsaw, small hedge trimmer and a reciprocating saw.
All works really well. Was impressed with the battery Life
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

Out this morning for a last of the year, high, slightly wet cut with the Einhell battery mower. A wonderful bit of kit. Really enjoyed using it this year and today felt really good when the thought hit me of no FF used. A really nice closing of the year thought. :D

A quick wash down of the underside and airblow out of small debris in the battery compartment and we are good to go for Spring 23. :lol: 8-)
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Lucky you - think we’ve still got 2 or 3 cuts, though our battery mower has been a real revelation too.
richbee

Post by richbee »

I bit the bullet and bought the Einhell brushcutter, with 2x 4Ah batteries and chargers - reasonable price and a brilliant bit of kit so far. It has the string dispenser or the metal blade, and a harness and wide handle which makes it much more comfy than the little ones with just a handle. The batteries last around 40 minutes hacking through tall grass, nettles, docks, thistles etc - which is long enough to wave it around before a rest! 4 charges and that's the field cut down to size - just have to rake it all up and dispose of the cuttings - not sure it will fit in my compost bays!
Solar PV since July '22:
5.6kWp east/west facing
3.6kW Sunsynk hybrid inverter
2x 5.12kWh Sunsynk batteries
1.6kWp Hoymiles East/West facing PV on the man cave
Ripple DW 2kW
Moxi

Post by Moxi »

I fired up the Stihl 2 stroke strimmer yesterday and tackled the walkways between the raised beds and then along part of the verge along the road, i was forced into this because the plug in mower cut out on thermal trip due to the hot weather (grass wasn't excessively high).

As always it did a great job cutting the grass, but despite gloves and hard hat with ear defenders and mesh face guard I was left with tingling fingers, ringing ears and the taste of 2 stroke exhaust in my mouth for about 4 hours. Yesterday evening I ordered a "as new" amazon special Einhell professional bush trimmer and strimmer as part of the xchange tool range.

Just used it to finish the verge plush an extra 10 meters (cuz i was having fun!) to the farmers gate entrance, then i did the neighbours verge and finished bits around the garden on two 3Ah batteries, its almost as heavy as the Sthil but a better harness with adjustment means its balanced perfectly and there's no fatigue from use, no vibration - wasn't wearing gloves, still had the hard hat because of the visor but the ear defenders were left outboard as its whisper quiet. Not had need to fit the brush cutter today but in the week ahead I will need to hop into the adjacent field and clear a patch behind the chickens so the foxes cannot reach the fence unseen, and the brush cutter will come to good use as the grass is 3ft plus in the field with clumps of sedge grass and other hardy grass varieties which normally choke the strimmer head on the Sthil unless I am exceptionally slow and careful.

I can heartily recommend it to those with large gardens / small holdings as a versatile robust alternative to the 2 stroke option.

I cannot and will not bin the mower until it burns out / falls apart, but when it does I will be getting the mower to replace it.

Moxi
Bugtownboy

Post by Bugtownboy »

Found exactly the same, Moxi.

Replaced our 2 stroke strimmer/multi tool and 4 stroke mower with battery last year.

Almost a joy to cut the sward ;)

Probably one of the best tool sets we’ve bought.
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

We bought an L/A battery mower around 20 years ago, petrol really ought be phased out on noise & pollution (great way to mess up a shift workers rest) ..sunday morning 7.30 am a-hole neighbour used to cut & poison his land like clockwork, 3 times a week (yes, he was)

Modern li- mowers are simple, light & pretty capable if your grass is under control.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
nowty

Post by nowty »

Bought a Bosch battery mower and a Matika battery strimmer a few years ago.
Not quite as much power as a plug in one but fine for my small lawns.
And so much less hassle without the cord.
15.2kW PV > 100MWh generated
Ripple 6.6kW Wind + 4.5kW PV > 19MWh generated
5 Other RE Coop's
105kWh EV storage
60kWh Home battery storage
40kWh Thermal storage
GSHP + A2A HP's
Rain water use > 490 m3
Joeboy

Post by Joeboy »

We managed a full month away cut on our return. I set the height a little higher and it just belted through it. SWMBO has now taken to it too. That 18v&36v Einhell has been excellent for us.
We are now very used to and spoiled by the 1 battery fits all. The only unit I see as marginal is the circular saw. It's just a little on the lightweight side when used to a corded unit. I just go a little slower and all good.
16.6kW PV SE, VI, HM, EN & DW
Ripple 7kW WT & Gen to date 11MWh
42kWh LFPO4 storage
95kWh Heater storage
12kWh 210ltr HWT.
73kWh HI5
Deep insulation, air leak ct'd home
Zoned GCH & Hive 2
WBSx2
Low energy bulbs
Veg patches & fruit trees