Garden machines that work and last.

Share your growing tips
ClockmanFRA

Garden machines that work and last.

Post by ClockmanFRA »

Touchy subject this, but hay those that know me think I am mad.

My take on sustainability......
Lets make something simple, robust, that will last and easy to repair.

Here is anpother of my recent stories......

For those of you interested......

My 46 year old USA built Roper16hp, 48inch wide cut, mower gets a new cylinder valve update.

Why do i have such an old mower, i here you ask. Well its simple, very well built with loads of real steel and a chassis and a very well made and heavy cutting deck, and folks still no rust. The US really did make stuff properly then. And we have about 2 acres that need cutting, but only uses about 5 litres of petrol for about 2 hours of gentle running.

The no 1 cylinder lost its exhaust valve seat from its aluminium barrels. Been loose for years, but being a side valve simple engine, it carried on until last month the valve seat dropped out and jammed the valve open so no compression and the mower limped home to its shed/store on just no 2, cylinder.

The engine is a Briggs and Stratton horizontally opposed low revving side valve. Most parts on these engines are interchangeable with other engines that Briggs and Stratton made at the time.
Ordered parts from the US, 10 days later all here. Not expensive but import charges etc seem to double the cost. I always double order elsewhere as the parts are not expensive, but so far only the gasket set purchased in Europe has arrived.
It seems talking to folk in the US that valve seats have always been an issue, and seats falling out are not rare. And as there is plenty of very nice cast aluminium on the engine design, peening and swaging the original aluminium over and up to the new valve seat is a very do-able long-lasting repair.

No 1, cylinder 400cc, showed the fault on a compression test. No 1 is front facing so easy to get at without dismantling and getting the engine off the mower.

So here are a few pics of the repair, got to keep stuff going and working and importantly in my opinion its very good for sustainability.

And yes now running sweetly, still some issues with the normally aspirated carburettor, but the carb jets do not like the modern petrol that engines use today but a bit of tweaking finds a happy medium. But even so, having 16 horses fully running is nice and the engine just ticks over while cutting a field of very high grass.

Swaging tools.

SafetyThird

Re: Garden machines that work and last.

Post by SafetyThird »

Best way to be eco friendly, keep using and repairing old things that still do the job. I have an old Massey 135 tractor which is probably a bit of overkill for our little smallholding but it came with the farm. I've added a few accessories such as mower, Tedder, plough etc and a front end loader, it'll keep going long after I'm gone, unlike any of the cheap Chinese mini-tractors, the parts are all available from the agricultural engineer down the road and they can fix anything that's beyond my skills.
6kw PV (24 x REC Solar AS REC 250PE)
Clausius 5-25kw GSHP
Luxpower Squirrel Pod
Pylontech 21kwh
Eddi Diverter
250l hot water tank with two immersions
2 x Woodwarm wood burning stoves
7 acres of old coppice woodland
Ripple Energy Kirk Hill 3.8kw
Fintray

Post by Fintray »

"Why do i have such an old mower, i here you ask. Well its simple, very well built with loads of real steel and a chassis and a very well made and heavy cutting deck, and folks still no rust. The US really did make stuff properly then."

Exactly, why would you change it, unfortunately many people simply throw repairable stuff away and buy new. Of course there are plenty that have neither the inclination nor the ability to repair things.

Well done on that repair. :D
3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!) Now likely to be removed for more PV.
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Vaillant AroTherm 10kW ASHP
Nissan Leaf
Mr Gus

Post by Mr Gus »

No idea why it should be a touchy subject clockman, after all you have way more land than a small mower could reasonably handle, sometimes livestock don't / can't cut it.

If it's a regular small UK garden, then yes, get any cr@p ICE 2 stroke mower off the noise & localised pollution circuit.

Good on you for your maintenance regime that means it's not deemed spent after a handful of cutting seasons.
1906 ripplewatts @wind Turb-ine-erry
It's the wifes Tesla 3 (she lets me wash it)
Leaf 24
Celotex type insulation stuffed most places
Skip diver to the gentry
Austroflamm WBS
A finger of solar + shed full more
martinW

Post by martinW »

The problem I find now is that trying to find that well built equipment. And chances are that anything you buy now, you would struggle to get spares for in 10 years...

I replaced the motor bushes on our washing machine a few years ago. IIRC they were around £70. It was a pita of a job with lots of swearing.

When they went the second time I replaced the machine.